🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cannon Model

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I kinda know what this is, but need some help nailing down the age, use, etc, Also. it's obvious that I am missing the carriage and wheels. If anyone has pictures, drawings, sketches, etc. of what these should look like for this particular model, I would LOVE to know! Thanks, Jack.
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking cannon.
There are types that look close to yours in images.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting little cannon. I have a collection of nearly fifty of them, but have not seen this exact one. This is a "shooter", it was made to be loaded with black powder and a paper wad and fired for noise. These were popular from the 1880s-1910s, some collectors call them "fourth of July" cannons since they made a noise like a loud firecracker and were often used to make noise on the fourth. Shoot at your own risk!! Do not use a ball! Most were all cast iron, I like the brass barrel on cast iron carriages like yours.

Upvote 6

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question. Are you located near water? Could be a cannon used for colors. I used to fire one everyday with the raising and lowering of the flag.

Upvote 1

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of my small cannons, there are more spread around the house.

Benny, this is too small for what are referred to as signal cannons and pretty small for saluting the colors. I have been around many yacht clubs, they usually use a 10 gauge cannon that take center fire shells. They make a much larger boom than the OP cannon.

7DF509FF-468D-4A26-B418-781E8ED8DA41.jpeg
7AEF3203-4A91-43D7-B879-F781DE84350F.jpeg
14E2F16D-B3CA-49B4-91F8-9E9CB72C0745.jpeg

Upvote 14

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there is a little beauty... and why TN has kept me round.... its things like this that make this site.

I am / will go against the general consensus here and just tell you that what you have is a little more special than what is thought here... and its not from the 1800's... this is much older and made of gun bronze.
would there happen to be a small mark on the underside ?

More pictures would help to solidify my opinion or nullify it.
Down barrel would be good... underside... close.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thank you ARC! That sounds exciting, but I have looked the piece over head to toe and unfortunately cannot find a mark of any kind! I wish I could! Have to leave now but will send more photos tonight-so sorry for the delay and thanks so much for your post. I guess lack of a proof mark or other touchmark would disqualify this piece from your theory???

Upvote 3

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC, don't get your knickers in a knot. It is not what you are saying, cannon has central trunions, early cannons had trunions on the lower third of the barrel. You know that. Some of the ones in my photo are made by Stevens, some by Shimer, and some by others, they are not maker marked. Only a couple of the firecracker cannons were marked with their patent dates but not manufacturers marks. Once a green patina is set nobody can tell if the object is brass or bronze by juust looking at it. You know that too.

Upvote 5

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARC, don't get your knickers in a knot. It is not what you are saying, cannon has central trunions, early cannons had trunions on the lower third of the barrel. You know that. Some of the ones in my photo are made by Stevens, some by Shimer, and some by others, they are not maker marked. Only a couple of the firecracker cannons were marked with their patent dates but not manufacturers marks. Once a green patina is set nobody can tell if the object is brass or bronze by juust looking at it. You know that too.
I was just saying you would have liked my old collection some years ago.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yes... i can... and yes even from a photo.
Brass was not metal of choice in this period.
And it would be bronze... never brass in this period as well... also called... "gun brass".
This particular item... let alone that patina... speaks volumes to me.
Guess it just boils down to my opinion really at this point. :)

BUT... I will simply state...
my opinion stems from a lifetime of seeing these items... and i do mean a lifetime.

Some research is definitely due... but... from past experiences it will more than likely be very hard to pin down.
Unless a comparable example exists.

PS... (To OP)...
You have a super cool... and IMO rare item... at this point anyway... and yes i can be wrong... have been before... wont be the first or last.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread