🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cannon Model

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I kinda know what this is, but need some help nailing down the age, use, etc, Also. it's obvious that I am missing the carriage and wheels. If anyone has pictures, drawings, sketches, etc. of what these should look like for this particular model, I would LOVE to know! Thanks, Jack.
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Interesting little cannon. I have a collection of nearly fifty of them, but have not seen this exact one. This is a "shooter", it was made to be loaded with black powder and a paper wad and fired for noise. These were popular from the 1880s-1910s, some collectors call them "fourth of July" cannons since they made a noise like a loud firecracker and were often used to make noise on the fourth. Shoot at your own risk!! Do not use a ball! Most were all cast iron, I like the brass barrel on cast iron carriages like yours.
Thanks gunsil....I doubt I will ever load it up-too many scars on this body already!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Here are some of my small cannons, there are more spread around the house.

Benny, this is too small for what are referred to as signal cannons and pretty small for saluting the colors. I have been around many yacht clubs, they usually use a 10 gauge cannon that take center fire shells. They make a much larger boom than the OP cannon.

View attachment 2062656 View attachment 2062657 View attachment 2062658
Fantastic collection, gunsil! I never saw so many beautiful pieces together at one time!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Question. Are you located near water? Could be a cannon used for colors. I used to fire one everyday with the raising and lowering of the flag.
Not really--Central Virginia--but not sure where the piece originally came from.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I agree with gunsil. Ltae 19th century noise maker. It never had wheels. Looks like it's at least nearly complete. Really nice too!
I was trying to figure out where the wheels attached! How was it mounted-0n a piece of wood? Any idea what piece(s)) it may be missing? Thanks.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok reviewed Iron pics... still same opinion thus far... BUT... heh

There is a view,, actually 2 views you missed which were the views i most wanted.

Top of the mounting areas. (iron flat spot where screws went through... top and bottom in detail,

There are some marks / striations i want to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Some research is definitely due... but... from past experiences it will more than likely be very hard to pin down.
Unless a comparable example exists.

PS... (To OP)...
You have a super cool... and IMO rare item... at this point anyway... and yes i can be wrong... have been before... wont be the first or last.
Sounds good to me!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Ok reviewed Iron pics... still same opinion thus far... BUT... heh

There is a view,, actually 2 views perhaps you missed which were the views i most wanted.

Top of the mounting areas.

There are some marks / striations i want to see.
I will try and take them now--where the cannon rests in the iron, or the tops of the two iron pieces that rest on one another?

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I kinda know what this is, but need some help nailing down the age, use, etc, Also. it's obvious that I am missing the carriage and wheels. If anyone has pictures, drawings, sketches, etc. of what these should look like for this particular model, I would LOVE to know! Thanks, Jack. View attachment 2062579 View attachment 2062580 View attachment 2062581
Here are some of my small cannons, there are more spread around the house.

Benny, this is too small for what are referred to as signal cannons and pretty small for saluting the colors. I have been around many yacht clubs, they usually use a 10 gauge cannon that take center fire shells. They make a much larger boom than the OP cannon.

View attachment 2062656 View attachment 2062657 View attachment 2062658
Well gentlemen I am impressed by the cannon and cannons.

The old saying applies

"You tell the men from the boys by the size of their toys "😂
20211218_200656.jpg

Upvote 4

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw them... still in same thinking.

Must sign off now... tomorrow i will check some things.

Until then... Great piece DO NOT CLEAN IT..

Upvote 1

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
Brass, 19th century, machine-made. There is a machine-made hole in the back of the cascable- the little button on the rear of the cannon where I suspect it was held in a lathe. The general design also suggests late date.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me just start with...

1. Of course a lathe was used... A boring lathe was used to make cannon... and just to be more precise... later years a turret lathe...And of course there is a mark from this... but its from the chaplet... for this is common on these.
Especially during this period which IMO would date to Revolutionary War Era. (1775 ish)
They were not called "lathes" but "boring" machines... and the marks you are referring to are common to all good old cannon....they are called chaplet marks.

2. As far as design... i am not sure to which "part" or "design" you are referring to?
This particular design is not a "design of any time" or "period".
There are rarely 2 of the same to even have a comp as to / in reference to "design".

I can show you examples of this design on very similar toy cannon that have been recovered from The River Thames.
So the design placing it in "time" is moot.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also... we must also keep in context... we are looking at (most often and many times) a type of childs toy.
Most if not all... were NOT actual cannon that fired shot... and NEVER did they fire actual cannon shot.
Even retired signal cannon became retrofitted into novelty children's toys.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread