🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cannon Model

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I kinda know what this is, but need some help nailing down the age, use, etc, Also. it's obvious that I am missing the carriage and wheels. If anyone has pictures, drawings, sketches, etc. of what these should look like for this particular model, I would LOVE to know! Thanks, Jack.
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In about 1750, advances in boring machines and cutting tools made it possible for advanced foundries to cast barrels as solid blanks and then bore them out. Until then cannon were cast hollow.
No one except you thinks this is anything other than a 19th century toy; please do not single me out for special treatment. Making cheap 19th century brass toys is a quite different technology from making real cannon.
It is... but this is ... nor are "any" of them "real cannon".
They do not "fire" anything.

Not even the one from QAR,

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one except you thinks this is anything other than a 19th century toy; please do not single me out for special treatment. Making cheap 19th century brass toys is a quite different technology from making real cannon.
I am not the only one here that knows what i am looking at... sorry to burst your bubble.
I deleted my posting more or less singling you out by addressing you... but left the post addressing WHAT you had said... for it is incorrect.

And since there was no response to my response i deleted the "like" i gave so as to "send a msg"... err to not send a msg rather... of "liking what you had originally said" about the singling etc..

Last edited:
Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and PS... since your remark on here was rather "sny"...
and.... for your Reality check...
Just because you hang on a "group of odd-fellow-think and act holier than thou's" shipwreck forum... and said something...
don't make it so.

I've touched more cannon than a cannon dealer / collector probably lol and definitely more than most have seen online... including those in academia. heh
Been hands on cannon for a solid 50 years.
So... my opinion... can actually... carry weight.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have literally no idea what any of those ramblings have to do with anything.
It has everything to with ......... what i just said .... heh

But... just to "sum it all up" for you.

1. The OPs piece is IMO.... at this point... until further notice.... heh... 1700's era minimum and even possibly older.
2. I am by no means "the only one"... and this also will include the antique store that sold it to him... who just a bit ago told me that they had said it was from that period... further solidifying my opinion to a degree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Smith... I think this is the most i have seen from you in all my years here... and definitely more than you have ever said to me personally...
you should actually join The Random Chat Thread instead some time.
Unlike the Shipwreck forum...
it actually has some down to earth ... real... polite... people that engage with / and in people interactions.

You know... heh........ like a forum should be.

Upvote 3

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
To return to the original inquiry. What I see is toy cannon for shooting, the detail of which is quite simple, and rather crude. It is not a scale model, so that you cannot tie it down to a specific pattern. However the general shape most closely resembles something like your Civil War pieces. However toy cannon can often be anachronistic, copying older types of cannon rather than contemporary pieces.

Upvote 3

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To return to the original inquiry. What I see is toy cannon for shooting, the detail of which is quite simple, and rather crude. It is not a scale model, so that you cannot tie it down to a specific pattern. However the general shape most closely resembles something like your Civil War pieces. However toy cannon can often be anachronistic, copying older types of cannon rather than contemporary pieces.
Originally at first sight I was along your same thinking... but the more i looked at it i started leaning... only i am leaning a little more back as you know...
Several factors keep me leaning back...
one being the iron work... next overall style of the cannon...
The style to me is mixed... could go CW but then not so much... just has that earlier look to me.
The overall look / patina is deepened to the deep... not really seen (by me anyway) in CW items.

So... I have given this some thought... and if you were to ask me... "guess man".
My (at this point) opinion would have to be...

Rev War Era Signal cannon... and i think it was designed and actually used in that period for signal purposes.
Circa - 1770's.

For now... thats what i got. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned to the thread to clean it some... and to check your pictures... I meant to ask about something and whilst looking I can see the cleaning differences etc.
As per our pm conversation... I would clean this no more.
Remember... Patina is a good thing and increases the desire /value.
Like cleaning a coin... its taboo.
With that said... after review... its not ruined... and looks good.... but i would clean no further.

Now i also came back because i thought of something... and i was looking for a picture of underside of the cannon itself.
What i am looking for is a very small "arrow" type hash mark.. now this would not appear to most as a mark.. so anything that looks like simply this... ->
It would be very small or faint so look close.

I will look for an online image of what i mean via a search and post if need be.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
O.K. I will take a close look outside in the sunlight, but won't be able to until this afternoon-not home right now.

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few... but nothing like the collections shown here..I have one old , 16th century Chinese

cannon I picked up a few years back... and one that weighs about 30 pounds that I cast up.. The rest I spun

out on my lathe..

Micheal
cannon.JPG

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread