Capped Bust Half dropped in church collection!!

Common Cents

Nov 8, 2011
MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acquired this from one of my monthly accounts that I service.They were counting the Sunday offering when this was discovered ,an 1836 half! This is not the first time this has occured,about a year ago,someone placed a white envelope in the offering containing 13 Walking Liberty half dollars! all of the walkers graded XF-AU,with luster,and all were from the Philadelphia mint,dated 1941-44.This is a rather large Church,and no one has any idea who could be so generous!!

Attachments

• kc31.jpg
    kc31.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • kc32.jpg
    kc32.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,271
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!THATS COOL!

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Nice. I will be the first to ask did you replace the half with another, or are you planning on selling it and giving that money to the church? Me for one would replace it and keep it for myself.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider replacing it with fair market value, and adding the coin to my collection.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great coin, nice gesture!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common Cents said:
I acquired this from one of my monthly accounts that I service.They were counting the Sunday offering when this was discovered ,an 1836 half! This is not the first time this has occured,about a year ago,someone placed a white envelope in the offering containing 13 Walking Liberty half dollars! all of the walkers graded XF-AU,with luster,and all were from the Philadelphia mint,dated 1941-44.This is a rather large Church,and no one has any idea who could be so generous!!

So what happens to it. I guess the fairest thing is to auction it & the results (profits) go to the Church?

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wonder if they would mind making change for a large bill..... and i do mean change...

OP
OP
Common Cents

Common Cents

Nov 8, 2011
MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ppratt said:
You put a fair market prise on it. Or say god wanted me to have it, and just replace it.
I appreciate the comments, I would like to inform everyone that fair prices were paid for the coins,as I would never consider taking advantage of a church.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common Cents said:
ppratt said:
You put a fair market prise on it. Or say god wanted me to have it, and just replace it.
I appreciate the comments, I would like to inform everyone that fair prices were paid for the coins,as I would never consider taking advantage of a church.

Good, that was a major point worth stating, as we would recognize that as an honourable mention :headbang:

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a nice gesture. I probably would have done the same thing.

WinstonTX

Jul 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coop748 said:
This is a tough decision to make.

You could just replace it, replace it then sell it and split the money, or replace it and make a fair donation to the church. It is not like you are out right stealing it.

I don't think that the decision is tough at all. That half ended up there because the person who donated it knew it was worth some money. They wanted to make a nice donation but be discreet about it. It wasn't just some pensioner donating "some old 50 cent piece" from the mason jar. It's a 176-year old coin for crying out loud. Nobody has these just sitting around in their change jars. Therefore, the only right thing to do is give the church a fair price for it. Taking it and replacing it with something of lesser value is outright stealing it.

CommonCents, nice find and good for you for doing the right thing!

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
WinstonTX said:
Coop748 said:
This is a tough decision to make.

You could just replace it, replace it then sell it and split the money, or replace it and make a fair donation to the church. It is not like you are out right stealing it.

I don't think that the decision is tough at all. That half ended up there because the person who donated it knew it was worth some money. They wanted to make a nice donation but be discreet about it. It wasn't just some pensioner donating "some old 50 cent piece" from the mason jar. It's a 176-year old coin for crying out loud. Nobody has these just sitting around in their change jars. Therefore, the only right thing to do is give the church a fair price for it. Taking it and replacing it with something of lesser value is outright stealing it.

CommonCents, nice find and good for you for doing the right thing!

I disagree with you a little. Most likely you are right, but a few years ago like 10. A older wealthy lady droppped a $2.50 gold coin in the plate and when we asked her if she was the one that did it she said yes. She had no clue it was worth more. When she found out she gave it to the boy that found it. I had a gentleman ask me to come look at some silver dimes he had. When I got to his house he was just coming back from the bank cashing in his silver quaters and halfs. He said he only thought they made silver dimes. We went back to the bank and got his coins back. Some people just don't know.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good to know that people like that still exist! Good hearted people. Thanks for the post, and may god bless the generous one! Thanks for the post! :icon_thumright:

Bill Battle

Greenie
Oct 14, 2009
This story reminds me of an incident in my childhood. My older brother owned a beer joint and had a habit of throwing all of his pennies collected in the business into quite large coin bags. He had about a dozen large bags of pennies in his closet at home. Being a young coin collector, I got permission to scour his pennies to see if there were any old ones. Out of all of those thousands of pennies there was a single dime. I pulled it out to examine it and, of course, looked at the date. Turned out that it was a very rare 1942 over 41 mercury dime in AU condition. You just never know I guess. Sorry to stray from the original thread, but us old folks tend to do that from time to time. Congratulations on finding a super coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread