Cassville, Georgia Civil War Relics

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will be posting pictures of the Civil war relics that I find here in my hometown Cassville, Georgia. I got my first detector, Garrett Ace 350, on 1/14/14 after a friend got me hooked when he found a bullet right behind my house. Since then I have found a few things on my own. Enjoy!!!

CSA Enfield bullet.jpg
Here is the bullet my friend found that got me hooked. CSA .577 Enfield bullet.

Casting scrap.jpg
This is the first Civil war period item I found. Not really sure what it is. Maybe a casting scrap, melted bullet, or spare lead for making bullets ???

CSA .533 Gardner bullet.jpg
Here is the first bullet I found! A CSA .533 Gardner bullet.

Union Eagle I button.jpg
My first button, I didn't realize it was a Civil war button until someone told me it was! It is a Union Eagle Infantry coat button.

More to come. I will post them as I find them!!

Last edited:

tennessee

Feb 8, 2013
East tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations. Great saves you got there. Found my first bullet about 40 years ago. Been hooked ever since. Nice infantry Officers button.

OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_0855.JPG
577 caliber enfield

IMG_0856.JPG
44 caliber bullet. Not sure of the name.

IMG_0857.JPG
Ammo pouch finial

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Relics CM...
Is the Eagle Button a Coat Size?
Love The Gardner
Cool Finial as well (I've never dug one)

Every time I go to Cartersville (Dr, or Coin Shop)
I'm always tempted to drive out 411 or up a few Exits on 75 & do some Door Knocking.
But my Social Anxiety ; Stops me .
Davers

Can not forget the Enfield & the 44cal ."Good Stuff"
I also see you never got a positive ID on the Large Lead Piece : Still cool tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Davers. Took my relics to the recent relic show in Dalton, Ga. The button is coat size. The large piece of lead was most likely a bullet made into a checker piece. I've only knocked on one door so far and it turned out good for me. Almost backed out.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the fact that Johnston almost destroyed Sherman at Cassville but the plan did not go as hoped. None the less WHAT A GREAT STORY !!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If i lived there , I would also be scouting and gaining permission to hunt between Adairsville and Kingston. The road is the same as was when Joe Johnston almost tricked Sherman by sending all the wagons down the Kingston Road , thus dividing Shermans army and enabling Johnstons complete army to attack half of Sherman's army coming into Cassville , crossing the creek out there. Also a lot of cavalry action on The Old White Rd. I have frriends at White.

Graysondigger

Jan 14, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Davers. Took my relics to the recent relic show in Dalton, Ga. The button is coat size. The large piece of lead was most likely a bullet made into a checker piece. I've only knocked on one door so far and it turned out good for me. Almost backed out.
if you would like to hunt together I'd love to come up and knock on doors. I have good success with getting permission. Send me a message if you're interested. Thanks and HH!
Rob

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool.
I've missed the Dalton Show 'for the past several years' but have been known to "Loiter" at the Cobb.Co, show for the past couple years. & As for asking permission , if one does not try , one never knows.
Good Luck
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you would like to hunt together I'd love to come up and knock on doors. I have good success with getting permission. Send me a message if you're interested. Thanks and HH!
Rob

Cool, I may give you a Shout.
Esp, If you have the "Gift of gabb" that I seem to lack + I need to Get out more.

OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I want to give the road between Adairsville and Kingston a shot. That road is now Hall Station Rd.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what time of year is the Cobb show ? Its been many years since Ive been to that one.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you need to try to gain permission to hunt over on OLD 41 too. I'm talking about the old , old 41 that comes out of downtown Adairsvilles and heads to towards Noonday Creek...or what ever that creeks name is just north of Cassville. Hope you find lots of stuff. You should ! I'm not talking about 41 today but the old one which is the old country road over to the west about a block.

OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You must be talking about Two Run Creek. I'm going to do what I can to get on old Hwy 41/ Dixie highway.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what time of year is the Cobb show ? Its been many years since Ive been to that one.
----- Its in AUGUST this year If I recall its the 8th It is on google a local Marietta club is the sponsor, not as huge as Dalton but the same great stuff Here is the link announcement http://ngrha.com/annual_show.htm

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread