Caution when digging in water.. Swimmers itch is terrible..

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in a lake, 5 gallon bucket full of holes, shoveling signals into the bucket..

Found one Penney and a bunch of nails.. This was yesterday afternoon..

Started itching like crazy a couple hours later..

Today my calves look like I have monkeypox and the itching is torture..
Using hydrocortisone cream like it’s going out of style..

I think digging stirred up that swimmers itch crap and wrecked me good..
Sucks..

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that, another bad invention! Remember getting it as a kid, think it had something to do with clams.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The ones we have spend part of their life cycle in waterfowl and the other in snails. There is a free-swimming part of its life cycle that is looking for the fowl to penetrate. If it finds a fowl, it penetrates the skin and migrates to the blood system. It also tries to penetrate human skin and gets in a little ways but then quits. The burrowing damages the outer skin, causing the itching. As I recall, the burrowing does not start until the person gets out of the water. So a prevention is to thoroughly dry the skin immediately on exiting the water.

OP
OP
E

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones we have spend part of their life cycle in waterfowl and the other in snails. There is a free-swimming part of its life cycle that is looking for the fowl to penetrate. If it finds a fowl, it penetrates the skin and migrates to the blood system. It also tries to penetrate human skin and gets in a little ways but then quits. The burrowing damages the outer skin, causing the itching. As I recall, the burrowing does not start until the person gets out of the water. So a prevention is to thoroughly dry the skin immediately on exiting the water.

Yes that for this area too..
Creeps me out!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread