Cave Carvings in Oklahoma

RockChipper

Apr 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, so had some of these photos located in a different spot on the forum but asked to have that one removed and decided to make a repost here with more info as well as photos with the metadata removed.

For a little history on how/why we found this cave.
I?m part of a small group of people doing some research on the caves in this particular area. We were working on trying to find an access point to a larger system inside this mountain that we believe all these smaller caves lead to, thus leading to us finding this one. (about 50 total so far) This location is roughly 100 sq miles with sparse population and no interior county or state maintained roads. ( all private property )

So, We found hundreds of letters & symbols in this cave about a month ago, been scratching my head ever since trying to come up with some interpretations that make sense. Thought I might post some of the ones Iv chalked or otherwise traced and see what others think, and get more opinions.

Some of the writings are severely weathered and some seem lightly weathered, depending exactly where in the cave they are located.
I haven?t been able to find a date in the cave with the most writing but found a date in a neighboring cave that had the same style/time frame of writing it had a date of Xmas 1910.
Also haven?t been able to make out any full names yet and the partials iv found don?t match any of the locals ( both alive and passed on).

Anyway they may or may not mean anything but someone else was definitely there at one time, so I figured I?d at least try and see what they were trying to leave behind and keep an open mind and see where it leads.
As we go back to do more in the area I?ll grab some more pictures and post them as well as any other info from locals and such that I may get.

At the Entrance
B6B4E426-6202-4CBA-BD26-53561E2008F1.jpeg
57FEA858-6DEE-4C67-82B2-49B5B8F1D781.jpeg B2EF4B66-6637-4E76-8576-54ED1ADF6BA6.jpeg 4F16E077-96D1-40BA-9119-CDBBF4372911.jpeg BEA898F8-89FA-454E-89EF-1074AC54DC74.jpeg FE1C78A4-E2A9-42A0-83D3-06FD25FC0B7C.jpeg F54C5C14-8C28-41D2-A418-CDF4DEC7A9BC.jpeg

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet very interesting photos you have there thanks for sharing.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this near the Cimarron River in the upper reaches of the Panhandle?

OP
OP
R

RockChipper

Apr 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Welcomes,
@coonhound - As for how they were made, a lot of the words seem to be made by maybe pecking on a knife with a rock. Depth wise they’re about as deep as 1 - 2 Quarter edges. The symbols seem to be almost chiseled in and are around 1/4in in depth. We found a fire spot in the cave so there is even some writing & symbols written in charcoal/soot. The lighter & charcoal stuff seems to be in the more protected & dry parts of the cave, while the deeper stuff is in the wetter area closer to the Entrance.

@sdcfia this is in the Southeast part of the state

OP
OP
R

RockChipper

Apr 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Okie_Outlaw I honestly have no clue. If the date of 1910 is correct in a neighboring cave, then I?d figure a part of it was around that time. The other set which has the triangle, three sided box/cave symbols seem to be quite older but I would hate to even guess. I?m pretty confident that it is after any Spanish in the area, as the names iv made out so far are English, ( Jesse, Jack, We?-). The writing in soot I?d guess to be be around 50 - 100 years based on the amount of flowstone that has formed over parts of it. Although could be older if I knew whether or not there is any writing under the thickest portions.

Iv got a few more pics, that I?ll try to get up this weekend

OP
OP
R

RockChipper

Apr 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so wasn't able to make it back to the site till today, didn't come up with much more to post but thought id share this symbol we found.
carving.jpg

Seen a few places where they saw to follow the turtles head, tried that didn't come up with anything, so tried the tail and exactly 100ft away I found what looks like a turkey track carved in a tree. Still not discounting that it could be natural but after following the center toe, it lead down a high walled trail that went down into a creek. Didn't look around much once I got down there, figured id start there another day. Don't know if i'm on the right track or not, but it has been the "trail" that has made the most sense with the turtle carving so far.
tt1.jpg

Also found this stack of rocks with one in the center that points towards the cave with the carvings ( opposite hill from cave & turkey track tree)
pointrock.jpg

Ill keep updating as/if I find more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread