Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello folks.... I probably posted my request in the wrong forum to begin with this morning (I'M NEW...sorry). Anybody who knows ANYTHING about MD'ing in a cave please review my request in "Todays Finds"... it's entitled "Metal Detecting TN. cave / Anybody done this?" Any advise I can obtain would be welcomed... I am going to try this tomorrow morning and I'm SURE I'll be a lot smarter upon returning. I'll probably learn more about what NOT to do... than what to do (still smarter). Thanks.... Brad

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been in a lot of caves, mostly in southern Indiana, Mo. Ky. I was with the Windy City Grotto. Grottos are part of the NSS. National Speleological Society.
I'd encourage you to seek out a grotto for several reasons. First, I'd never cave alone. Go with at least three sources of light. Always tell people where your going and when you'll be back.
Here's a book that will make a believer.Floyd Collins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The caves I've been where you live are really underground rivers. Make sure no rain is on it's way as they fill up w/o notice. Your caves are mostly calcite. Can be in a lot of different forms. I've never noticed any metals as caves there are dissolved limestone from acid bearing rain water.
Sometimes you can find trash letting you know it's a river. I know people that have developed a rash from the water but only once. The water can also become deep. Be careful if you end up at what's called a terminal sump. The cave will seem to end at a pool of water. CO2 can accumulate there and you can be overcome before you can react. You run out of air like in some mines.
If you get hurt there can be huge problems getting you out. A woman here hurt herself as part of an expedition and it took two weeks to rescue her. Floyd Collins didn't make it.
Caves are seriously dangerous but you can take precautions. First again. find a partner, preferably a caver.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For anyone interested I posted some old photo's of the cave close to my home from years past. They were taken before the huge floods of 2010 here in TN. and MUCH HAS CHANGED. But... nothing has changed on the inside of the cave. When the posted photo's were taken I was not then in the cache, treasure or artifact mode then. That came later. It's located in "Todays Finds"... it's entitled "Metal Detecting TN. cave / Anybody done this?". Maybe someone will know what some of the items are I asked about... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread