tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old abandon and sealed off gold mine in the woods not terribly far from my work. I read it was discovered around 1830’s and operated until around 1911. There are some faint remnants of roads in the woods near and to the mine. What I’m asking is what types of things would I find in the woods in and around the roads.
No way to say for sure. Often long ago abandoned sites out in the sticks of anything had at one point in time, become places to dump their junk and garbage, because of the road access to a place know as out if site and out of mind. You just need to go see what's there.

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
No way to say for sure. Often long ago abandoned sites out in the sticks of anything had at one point in time, become places to dump their junk and garbage, because of the road access to a place know as out if site and out of mind. You just need to go see what's there.
I’ve been to some early homesites that someone along the years has dumped in spots, making it challenging to find older things that pertain to the original homeowners . I think what I’m saying is what kind of things could be there related to the mining and type of workers over the course it was operational which seem to be 80 or so years

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Most likely you would find refuse from the day (good stuff today though!). Sites notoriously had a “dump” close by. A spot for broken tools, empty bottles, cast off iron pins, spikes, etc. Back then there was no Earth Day with the focus on recycling. If items were repurposed, it was out of necessity; not to be Green. These spots are often treasure troves to folks like us. Go for it!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been to some early homesites that someone along the years has dumped in spots, making it challenging to find older things that pertain to the original homeowners . I think what I’m saying is what kind of things could be there related to the mining and type of workers over the course it was operational which seem to be 80 or so years
That's possible also. I search old coal mine sites around my area and found things related to the mining activities. Along with the junk left from a few decades after the mining had ended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread