Cellar Hole Finds .. Possible Counterfeit ?

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got approximately 45 minutes of detecting in before the AT Gold started chopping up good tones/ targets (to the point were it's unusable).
I did manage to scrounge up a couple nice buttons, wedding band, and what I believe to be a counterfeit coin (or token)??. Please let me know what you think ..and if the reversed design looks familiar please LMK.
Wish I could give you a VDI but it was so chopped I almost didn't dig the target.

Thank you for looking & your help!

FOTO_20220605_161421.jpg
FOTO_20220605_161648.jpg
FOTO_20220605_161615.jpg
FOTO_20220605_161522.jpg

Upvote 19

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of metal does the "coin" seem to be made of, will a magnet stick to it?
It appears that someone made the "coin" by pressing the back of a seated half dollar into another piece of metal or if it's a very hard metal it could be a "die" for stamping coins, it has to be one or the other since everything is a reversed image.
It's hard to tell from the photo but are the eagle and letters recessed into the metal instead of being raised?

OP
OP
thursdaythunder

thursdaythunder

Aug 13, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold / AT Pro / Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of metal does the "coin" seem to be made of, will a magnet stick to it?
It appears that someone made the "coin" by pressing the back of a seated half dollar into another piece of metal or if it's a very hard metal it could be a "die" for stamping coins, it has to be one or the other since everything is a reversed image.
It's hard to tell from the photo but are the eagle and letters recessed into the metal instead of being raised?
Good evening AU!
Yes the eagle & letters are recessed into what I now believe may be lead. It's not magnetic, and it seems somewhat pliable.
I guess they didn't bother with the obverse.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a nice find, congrats! I sometimes find these lead discs with coin pressed into them. No idea what they have been used for, I have a few that have both sides of the coin. Could be a gaming token or a toy. What I've noticed, at least where I am, they date mostly to mid or late 1800's

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds, the wedding band, the decorative buttons and the 'coin' made for a good hunt. :thumbsup:
Dave

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got approximately 45 minutes of detecting in before the AT Gold started chopping up good tones/ targets (to the point were it's unusable).
I did manage to scrounge up a couple nice buttons, wedding band, and what I believe to be a counterfeit coin (or token)??. Please let me know what you think ..and if the reversed design looks familiar please LMK.
Wish I could give you a VDI but it was so chopped I almost didn't dig the target.

View attachment 2030553 View attachment 2030554 View attachment 2030555 View attachment 2030556
Awesomeness!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2030553 View attachment 2030554 View attachment 2030555 View attachment 2030556
great saves and really interesting counterfeit. wtg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

igloo777

Jun 25, 2020
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you would have preferred it to be a real one, but that's pretty darn cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions