Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Down here I think there were cellars when the pioneers first started building houses. Some were under the houses, but most were out in the yard in a shady place. We had one that also served as a well house. Dug several feet into the ground it was cool even in hot summer.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure but I would guess yes. Similar climate to Pennsylvania and cellars were a handy and cooler place to store over-winter vegetables and fruit.

Also, by the 1830's homes were starting to get "tin" air ducts (first produced in 1805) and a coal furnace in the cellar warms the whole house.

So, Illinois is warm enough to benefit from a root cellar and cold enough to benefit from central heating.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Illinois here. Yep, there are and were cellars. Some under houses, some filled in or plowed over but they can be found.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I'm in Central Illinois. Most of the cellar holes you find are in pastures or timber. Don't forget to look for the outhouse depressions, they won't be far from the cellar hole.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they built log cabins with no cellars most of the time
in new england we have cellarholes but before spring melt if you hike the old dirt roads and theres still snow on the ground
if you have good eyes you can see depressions in the snow - square and rectangular where you can
tell there was a structure with no cellar - the weight of the logs make a depression

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also keep an eye out for certain tree and plants that indicated a homestead. around me it is small groups of black wall nuts, or old large sugar maple trees lining the road or driveway from maple syrup, Day lilies, daffodils, lilac shrubs/trees, small apple orchards, and so on

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
add to what Casper said, in the fall, after the first snow, dust of snow is the best, look for squares in fields or woods, the rocks hold heat more than the dirt and they will melt the snow if they are buried, works well in fields to pin point exact spot

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also keep an eye out for certain tree and plants that indicated a homestead. around me it is small groups of black wall nuts, or old large sugar maple trees lining the road or driveway from maple syrup, Day lilies, daffodils, lilac shrubs/trees, small apple orchards, and so on

I always thought that apple trees in the woods were a good sign

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread