Cemetery hunting

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Out of respect for the dead, I refuse to hunt them. I will hunt out side the fence but that's as far as I go. :violent1:

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Well noted Trusty. This would be an interesting read if you (or someone) could find a link to this article. By the title it sounds like something easy to bash, but really I'd like to know what was said (for the sake of fairness). You're quite right that it is not within the morals of the hobby to to tread on one's final resting place. And how the heck is the May edition out already? Did I sleep too long?

M

michigan michael

I think this would just add a very bad image into anyone's head about people that metal detect. I would think this would be the last place we would want to be seen if we are all concerned about loosing location hunting privileges. We know our code of conduct but most other people don't. I know a lot of people think I am crazy for spends hours digging change out of the ground...... I would graduate to criminally insane in their eyes if they seen me hunting a cemetery. I could not believe the article when I read it and I do not see myself hunting one near or far away. Just my 2 cent piece :icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although Cemeteries are Not necessarily all off Limits,
there are those who get upset.

The Magazines Normally will Not post Stories
like that.

They Don't even allow Stories
on Restoration Projects Because of those who
Would Tresspass getting Ideas.

The Title Must be Misleading

Did you read the Article ?

I Would guess it says "Stay Outside the Cemetery at all times"
or it's talking about Cemeteries that have been Relocated
& Are now just Ground. although there are those who still
consider these Hallowed.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, I'd sure like to hear the jist of the article, not just the title. Something don't sound kosher.

Al

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I was having flashbacks to reading the Robert Marx original edition of his Buried Treasure of the United States book that had photos with captions stating, "pottery found in an indian burial." Haha! I couldn't believe they posted that article. I was expecting the author to say he metal detected in empty fields or something like that in cemeteries. When he started talking about digging around headstones for rings that wives/husbands put there, I about dropped the magazine. Talk about giving the hobby a black eye! If the grounds keepers didn't call the cops on you, I would expect a mourning family member to give you a proper beatdown if you were detecting in the cemetery, especially around head stones. Remember though, don't go more than a 1ft down when digging!

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself feel Its very Wrong and I Agree Totally Agreree with T Net Member who Posted This
Out of respect for the dead, I refuse to hunt them. I will hunt out side the fence but that's as far as I go.

Likely Guy

I happen to be a director for our local cemetery society and our constitution states that (besides the interred remains, the receptacle and the grave marker) anything left on cemetery grounds belongs to the society. That way dead flowers, broken vases, unsightly memorials and the like can be removed. While many cemeteries have different regulations I believe this policy is very common.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Likely Guy,
What would be the response of your local cemetery if they say Joe Detector out in the cemetery with his trust metal detector? I just find it hard to believe that the author of this article has detected in an active cemetery. I could understand the lack of hassle he has received if he is going to cemeteries that are no longer active and off the beaten track, but otherwise, I just can't fathom him detecting in a cemetery without resistance. I am far from being PC, but this article still amazes me.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Just breezing through the article, it looks like it was almost written to make md'ing look inconsiderate.

I picture a mournful widow or widower over a recently filled grave depositing a ring as a sign of an eternal bond, and sometime later someone doing the gold dance aftrer prying it up from the foot of the marker.

That said, have hunted a local former cemetery many times as it is now a schoolyard and park. The graves having been moved in the 1940's after a hundred years of funerals and picnics there left plenty to be rediscovered. Have taken a small pile of coffin handles to the local historical society for their disposition of these as well.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take besides Roads, water Pumps, Outside Moseliums
he only does mid 19th Century
Stones where both Husband & Wife
are Buried.

Still Surprises Me he Got it Published.

I Have seen Detectorists searching the Cemetery
in the middle of Tower City, never talked to
them to see if they got permission
or were ever thrown off though.

Likely Guy

Philvis said:
Likely Guy,
What would be the response of your local cemetery if they say Joe Detector out in the cemetery with his trust metal detector? I just find it hard to believe that the author of this article has detected in an active cemetery. I could understand the lack of hassle he has received if he is going to cemeteries that are no longer active and off the beaten track, but otherwise, I just can't fathom him detecting in a cemetery without resistance. I am far from being PC, but this article still amazes me.

As we can't forcibly remove them and the local RCMP is over an hour away about all we could do is write down a licence number and description. Not sure what the penalty is though. I had a chance to read the article before it was pulled and it sounded like the cemetery was active. He also mentioned that he doesn't go below 1 foot, but our cemetery only requires ash remains to be buried at that level. If I caught him I guess I'd just throw rocks at his car until he got the hint. :nono:

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article I read was in May 2008 Lost Treasure.
It was on out of the way places to hunt.
It says to hunt along the roads to the
cemeteries or outside the fences and boundries.
It also says that what you would find wouldn't
be worth the time spent on it.

OP
OP
trusty

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
999slvrfx said:
The article was in May 2008 Lost Treasure.
It was on out of the way places to hunt.
It says to hunt along the roads to the
cemeteries or outside the fences and boundries.
It also says that what you would find wouldn't
be worth the time spent on it.

Sorry to disagree, but the article is in the May 2009 issue that came in the mail yesterday.

If I had your email I would send it to you

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I changed my post to say there was also one in May of 2008.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions