cen-tech

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up one of those cen-tech metal detectors at harbor frieght mine had 8 in stock. I used it today, thing worked great found things i would have searched for for hours cause they looked like rocks. I like the light on it and its small size worked better than that automax crap and for only 17 bucs :icon_thumright: Don

Upvote 0

bayou bandit

Feb 9, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax,Whites 3900/D Pro series, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and cen- tec pinpointer (doing it on the cheap)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been having pretty good luck w/ mine so far... cheap time saver. And if it crap's out, for the price I think next time I'll buy 2! :thumbsup:

hugepossum

Jan 26, 2009
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero ; Discovery TF-900
Yeah, I got one of these last year. They are pretty janky, but they do work. And you can't beat the price, of course.

I found that they aren't very sensitive and they aren't very rugged for "the field".

Mine has proved more useful finding studs than finding metallic objects in my lesche-dug holes. I have since purchased a Pistol Probe.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
They are the best buy for the money. They will pick up at the same distance as a Garrett pro pointer. They are cheaply built .The weak point is the pushbutton switch, but it is easily replaced.
Mine is over a year old. They are easy to mod. I have added a bright blue LED that lights when it detects metal. You can also add one of those cell phone vibrators if you like to silent hunt.

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Might just be my imagination, but when I got mine, the sensitivity was... well,... far below what I expected.

After taking out the four outer screws and opening the unit, I found that by adjusting the screw on the little blue box (see pic) clockwise by about 3/4 to 1 turn (adjust for best result by actual testing), the pointer started picking up at a distance of about 1 inch or so off the target.

Might just be my imagination, but it seemed to work.

Your mileage may vary!

Try it... if it doesn't help for you, just put it back. No gain, no loss, no harm done.

Mark your start point, and turn a bit, then test... turn a bit more then test, until best results are reached.

I reset sensitivity knob to where it JUST became silent before each test.

I'm most happy with mine now!

NOTE: after reading another post, I found that the screw is indeed a potentiometer for adjusting sensitivity, and for the span of the sensitivity knob.

Attachments

• CT1.JPG
    CT1.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,185
  • CT2.JPG
    CT2.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 781

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yea, I put this out in the tec section a while back. You can adjest it while testing if you use a tuning wand"plastic screwdriver". Don't forget to note the location of the adjesting screw BEFORE you turn it. If you turn it to far, it will constantly sound when you push the button.
This is probably the most versitle and easiest to mod pinpointer out there. Mine is over a year old.

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Thanks, Frankn... wish I had seen your post before I started messing inside mine, it would have saved me some time. LOL!

So far, it seems like this is going to be a pretty good pointer. May do the switch mod next, and try to seal it better.

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
I loose mine. First was the expensive Whites BullsEye ll, cried like a baby! Then I lost a Centec. "Oh well......just buy another
Thanks for the screw tip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread