Central Great Plains KRF

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
A recent post by OntarioArch concerning Knife River Flint (KRF) caught my attention as it is one of my favorite lithic materials. In the part of Nebraska that we hunt we have been fortunate to have found a fair number of KRF pieces. When KRF pieces are found in this region they are usually in the form Paleoindian projectiles or Middle and/or Late Archaic pieces. Interestingly the single culture which is most represented in our personally found collection is the Pelican Lake culture. In this image I call the top row and the two pieces on the far right of the lower row Pelican Lake points. All of our KRF pieces are river finds.

NEBR_KRF_TN.jpg

Upvote 12

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Really cool material, that KRF. I don't know much about the Pelican Lake Culture, but I'll search for what I can find out. Those corner notched, wide base points are really interesting. Are they considered a stemmed point or a triangle?

OP
OP
11KBP

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Really cool material, that KRF. I don't know much about the Pelican Lake Culture, but I'll search for what I can find out. Those corner notched, wide base points are really interesting. Are they considered a stemmed point or a triangle?

The middle artifact in the top row with the wide hafting base indicates it was used as a knife with a hafted handle. A sturdier haft was needed for downward or to the side pressure while performing cutting tasks .

Another Pelican Lake knife from Nebraska.
SHplake1.jpg

OP
OP
11KBP

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Whew those are some beautiful points made out of top notch material, eye candy indeed.
I should have mentioned that material the knife in the last image is made of is Smoky Hill silicified chalk and generally just called Smoky Hill jasper. This material is a local lithic source in my part of Nebraska.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always admired the KRF material you guys find. KRK is not in my area though I did find a drill that looks to be KRF.
Maybe trade or just a random similar material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread