Central North Carolina points

NC_Randall

Greenie
Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the first photos of some of the "arrowheads" found by my grandfather 70 - 80 years ago. I've grouped them by general appearance, but since I am a novice they may not be of the same type! The background is a Kodak 18% grey card. Sorry, but I forgot to put a ruler in the shot for size reference, so I'll mention the size of the largest point in each photo.

The longest on on the left is 2.75 inches long. These are as thick as they are wide. The cross section would be almost round. So far I haven't found anything like these on any artifact identification web pages.

IMG_8326.JPG

In the next photo the longest point is 3.25 inches. The one on the bottom left is unusual in that one side is triangular and the bottom is flat. It is 3/8" thick. The closest ID I can find is "Savannah River", though I'm most likely wrong! Savannah River Projectile Point

IMG_8324.JPG

I'm pretty sure this last group is Guilford. The one on the top right is 2.75 inches.

IMG_8325.JPG

There are quite a few more in the collection. I'll take more pics in the days to come :)

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pieces and welcome to the forum.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice collection.thanks for sharing

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Shasta area?...have any back story?

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first points look like RANDOLPH ? 400- 200- BP This is a thick small to medium contracting stem point with a median ridge cross section. The blade is narrow and commonly straight except for shoulders edge flaring out. This point may be distinguished from other similar types by a median ridge running up the center (or close to) of the blade. The shoulders are primarily at an upward slope, but may vary for horizontal. The stem is contracting with a rounded or pointed base. This point is commonly crudely made, often asymmetrical, and has a random flaking pattern. From Projectilepoints.net

Last edited:

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first points look like RANDOLPH ? 400- 200- BP This is a thick small to medium contracting stem point with a median ridge cross section. The blade is narrow and commonly straight except for shoulders edge flaring out. This point may be distinguished from other similar types by a median ridge running up the center (or close to) of the blade. The shoulders are primarily at an upward slope, but may vary for horizontal. The stem is contracting with a rounded or pointed base. This point is commonly crudely made, often asymmetrical, and has a random flaking pattern. From Projectilepoints.net

Good call on that one southfork! It had me wondering due to it's uniqueness. NC Randal go to this link and scroll to the bottom you will see it: Randolph Projectile Point

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice classic looking NC points. Welcome!

OP
OP
N

NC_Randall

Greenie
Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think you nailed it! Actually, they were found in Randolph County, so it makes sense. It's interesting they are so "new". I always thought they looked ancient.

OP
OP
N

NC_Randall

Greenie
Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shasta area?...have any back story?

My grandfather found them in Randolph County NC. He was a farmer and was too poor to own a tractor after the depression, so he plowed 50 acres with a mule. That gave him a lot of time and miles of walking in the dirt.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
My grandfather found them in Randolph County NC. He was a farmer and was too poor to own a tractor after the depression, so he plowed 50 acres with a mule. That gave him a lot of time and miles of walking in the dirt.

oh you mean what we call today..."organic farming"!

OP
OP
N

NC_Randall

Greenie
Feb 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh you mean what we call today..."organic farming"!

Yes. And I'm pretty sure there was manure involved. There were two mules. I only remembered the brown one, but here is proof of two. This is a pic of him taken by my father in 1955 on Kodachrome.

FullSizeRender(9).jpg

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy your post, seeing your Grandfather points, and the treasured photo of your Grandfather, showing how many of our ancestors tilled the land.

In the top photo I would call the largest point on the left, a "spike", and would suspect it was used as an awl or prying tool. The middle two I agree would be Randolph's. The top right one looks older to me, and from the photo I suspect it might be a "Kirk stemmed" or some call them Kirk stemmed serrated.

In the second photo I think you are right in calling them "Savannah River's", with the ones having small indentations in the base stems maybe morphing into the "Stanley" type. The top one on the right may morph into the "Morrow Mountain". All probably being mid to late archaic in age.

In your bottom photo I would call the two in the top row, on the right side, "Guilford stemmed" points. All the rest I would just call late archaic large stemmed points, and probably not Guilford related. Just an opinion, for your consideration, as typology is not always cut and dry, and often debated. Large numbers of points that are found can not be confidently pegged into universally accepted point types.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Yes. And I'm pretty sure there was manure involved. There were two mules. I only remembered the brown one, but here is proof of two. This is a pic of him taken by my father in 1955 on Kodachrome.

View attachment 1281291

FANTASTIC...Ma was raised on a farm in the 20's/30's very similar..but horses not mules, she had great stories...Pa had mules on his farm and hated them, he said they were smart and crafty and knew how to mess with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread