Attachments

• 3550DFD9-8841-4B6B-840B-A3D5B22A84D5.jpeg
    3550DFD9-8841-4B6B-840B-A3D5B22A84D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 232
Upvote 35

Neshannock Jim

Jun 5, 2022
I'm curious.
I see many people call just about anything made of flint with a point on it an "arrow head ".
What you are holding in your hand I am cetain would have zero chance of flying were it attatched to an arrow. Well, maybe a few feet before gravity tosses it to the ground.
Not to mention, the shaft would have to be over an inch in diameter to accomodate it.
I'm thinking that a real " arrow head " would be no larger than a man's thumb nail or a postage stamp and so highly covetted that very few were ever lost for modern man to find.
I would think that what you are holding would more accurately be described as a spear point ?
Today's modern arrow heads are measured in grains. A 200 grain arrow head, or broadhead , is quite heavy and requires the power of todays modern crossbows to accurately launch them. Today's bows are flirting with 100# draw weight as to where the bows used to launch these dug up " arrow heads " were 30-40 #'s .
What does that " arrow head " weigh ?
Ya just can't convince me that those " arrow heads " folks find and or dig up actually are arrow heads.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly, welcome aboard!

As a native Texan and having hunted creek banks for years, I'll just say that is the best I've ever seen. Nicely done.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious.
I see many people call just about anything made of flint with a point on it an "arrow head ".
What you are holding in your hand I am cetain would have zero chance of flying were it attatched to an arrow. Well, maybe a few feet before gravity tosses it to the ground.
Not to mention, the shaft would have to be over an inch in diameter to accomodate it.
I'm thinking that a real " arrow head " would be no larger than a man's thumb nail or a postage stamp and so highly covetted that very few were ever lost for modern man to find.
I would think that what you are holding would more accurately be described as a spear point ?
Today's modern arrow heads are measured in grains. A 200 grain arrow head, or broadhead , is quite heavy and requires the power of todays modern crossbows to accurately launch them. Today's bows are flirting with 100# draw weight as to where the bows used to launch these dug up " arrow heads " were 30-40 #'s .
Ya just can't convince me that those " arrow heads " folks find and or dig up actually are arrow heads.
I’m fairly sure that many native bows had pull weights of 80-100+lbs. I also don’t necessarily think the points were highly coveted by the natives. They were made to be shot and recovered if possible but I think a skilled individual could make many in an afternoon with the right material. I do agree that this particular piece was either a dart, spear or knife and not an arrowhead. I lean towards knife.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious.
Really not the place or time for a lesson that most of us here neither need nor want. I am fully aware of the difference between arrow, lance and knife forms, but I'll still call'em arrowheads unless someone is asking for help identifying an artifact. I don't eat ground beef patty sandwiches; I eat hamburgers, all the time knowing there isn't a lick of ham in the damn thing.

Jlill

Oct 9, 2022
Central Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm curious.
Understand you saying that! The bow wasn't around until about 1500 years ago. 1st the spear point then atl atl points then arrow points. I just call em points so it's general classification. Atlatl came into play at least in archaic period and bow In historic and late woodland I believe. I think it's just easy for people to say arrowhead and people know what they mean ya know. I think all of us native American point hunters say it from time to time.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice find :)

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a number of points that look identical to yours, that came from my family's homestead in Central Texas (Norse). I wish I knew more about them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread