jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool ! but, I most say, I Hope this isn't what they call the "Jars" full of Emeralds"

attachment.php

if I was hungry and asked for a full bowl of food at a restaurant and saw that in the bottom,
I'd be disappointed big time :laughing9: just saying :laughing7: who ate my meal :coffee2: that would be the spit hit

Attachments

• 000bbb.jpg
    000bbb.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be full enough for me..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be full enough for me..

agreed , but not point I was making .

false title, from what I see.

"Ceramic Jars Full of Emeralds"

Suggests to me at Least 2 Jars with little to no room in them

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
"Ceramic Jars Full of Emeralds"

Suggests to me at Least 2 Jars with little to no room in them

I know what you are saying. But this is one of those cases where all is relative. If the jars were full, but much smaller in size would that be better? Also keep in mind that this is the picture that was released. At this point we don't know the extent of the find. Another thing I was wondering is how fancy are 500 year old emeralds from a comparatively primitive culture? They are definitely not the fine cut, multi-faceted emeralds we are used to seeing in jewelry. In fact, from a gemstone perspective, most of the emeralds--regardless of the amount, might be significantly flawed and not worth much outside of their archaeological value. That said, rubys and emeralds are my favorite gemstones. Chicks can have their diamonds. There is something about that red and green shimmer that screams wealth to me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know the weren't pilfered before the photos were taken . Why can't you just enjoy what was found ?

if your talking to me, You should already Know I like all found treasures ! from the top of a stickpin
to the Atocha. I'm just saying the title made me look for a jar full of Emeralds. could have been a thumb size jar
or a gallon size, still I did not see a jar full of Emeralds. did you ?
Not only that, They say "Jar's"
please show me it/them :laughing9:

me ? I'd be happy to find the Empty Jar. I wouldn't say it was full of air though :laughing9:

then again :tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I'm just saying the title made me look for a jar full of Emeralds. could have been a thumb size jar
or a gallon size, still I did not see a jar full of Emeralds. did you ?

If that's all there is, what a laugh that even the science mags resort to the tease in their headlines. But again, all we have is that one picture, and no context. There may well be a pile of emeralds that came out of that jar, and any other jar may be full as well. But here's the kick in the pants: No matter how many emeralds there are, they are most likely rough crystals. And what are the chances they get cut, oiled and polished? Zilch. They are now archaeological finds, and from now on it's "look, don't touch". They could be the finest emeralds ever found and they will still be relegated to sitting in a university or government collection, taken out on special occasions for display to the unwashed masses.

Allen78

Aug 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what technology was used to locate the jars? I'm also looking for a target that is buried in ceramic jars. Anywhere from 3-6ft deep.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I wonder what technology was used to locate the jars? I'm also looking for a target that is buried in ceramic jars. Anywhere from 3-6ft deep.
They were archaeologists, so it was probably hand trowels, soft brushes and some string to grid off an area. In terms of higher tech, ground penetrating radar could be a possibility but it's not like they were on a treasure hunt. They were excavating a site, and these jars just happened to be there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title would have been better "found el dorado's lost 2 bottles of Rum"

AND THE BOTTLES WERE FULL !

:P

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These were found during a road construction project. There were 8 jars found. In total there were 13 very small emeralds found in those 8 jars. Here's a picture of all the emeralds that were found.

emeralds.jpg

These are good color and clarity emeralds but we have no way of knowing if they have any real value beyond their value as antiquities.

I'm really tired of "science" publications promoting themselves with bogus misleading headlines. Clearly there were no "jars full of emeralds" found. The find was interesting enough without the hype.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread