Chain impact mill

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

This was copied from members here. I modifed chains and their lentghs to be 1mm from the body of mill. Holes are 5mm in diameter. Motor used is a 1.5HP, 3000 rpm single phase.

It instantly pulverizes rocks into very fine powder. I will be using it for both hard rock and scrap circuit boards.

Here is a photo of mill while being modified in the shop.
image.jpg

This is a look inside the mill. I also tightened chains for better impact.
image.jpg

Here is how a piece of hematite rock looked after being in the mill for few seconds. It also instantly pulverized hardest quartz.
image.jpg

I will be using this for my rock testing. I have to thank all members here whose designs helped me put this mill together.

Best regards
Kj

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for letting me know the member ID whose design I copied and modified and it works excellently.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update,

I timed myself using this chain mill to pulverize blank circuit boards, its througput for circuit boards which due to their high content of fiberglass is very hard, is 6 lbs per hour.

For quartz ore it seems to mill them faster.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update,

I timed myself using this chain mill to pulverize blank circuit boards, its througput for circuit boards which due to their high content of fiberglass is very hard, is 6 lbs per hour.

For quartz ore it seems to mill them faster.

I'm not into recycling but it occurs to me that you can incinerate the boards then pan for the heavies. Not sure that is a time same saver. Incinerator temp would be hot enough to melt gold but solder is a different story if it is also used.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not into recycling but it occurs to me that you can incinerate the boards then pan for the heavies. Not sure that is a time same saver. Incinerator temp would be hot enough to melt gold but solder is a different story if it is also used.

Good luck.

Thanks mate. Incineration follow by smelting with copper then part with electrolysis is the standard procedure. The only issue for home refiner is the cost and capacit of fume control and scrubber.

That us why I am testing milling circuit boards using this chain, sift and use gravity separation. To see how efficent it is.

Feb 11, 2019
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mate. Incineration follow by smelting with copper then part with electrolysis is the standard procedure. The only issue for home refiner is the cost and capacit of fume control and scrubber.

That us why I am testing milling circuit boards using this chain, sift and use gravity separation. To see how efficent it is.

Just strikes me 6lbs an hour is not much? I have one of these I used to use on an old claim I had that I could dump 4 inch rock in (a friend made it for me) and I could do about a 1000 lbs an hour through it alone. Maybe I am wrong but I think you should be able to process more than that in an hour unless you are talking the panning etc after done crushing in that hour

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I use something similar as a sampler but will post on a new thread at some point. 100 percent ore will mill faster than fiberglass. Good job.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just strikes me 6lbs an hour is not much? I have one of these I used to use on an old claim I had that I could dump 4 inch rock in (a friend made it for me) and I could do about a 1000 lbs an hour through it alone. Maybe I am wrong but I think you should be able to process more than that in an hour unless you are talking the panning etc after done crushing in that hour

Hi

I meant 6 lbs of shredded circuit boards per hour, it instantly pulverizes rocks to very fine powder.

OP
OP
K

Kjavanb1234

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I use something similar as a sampler but will post on a new thread at some point. 100 percent ore will mill faster than fiberglass. Good job.

Hi

Thanks for your comment. I will be looking forward to seeingyour thread on that mill. My projects right now are based on circuit boards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread