"Challenge For Superstition Gold"

Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres only 1 reason to make the psm’s in the 1st place & that is to profit off of them…no other reason, theres just no need for a stone carving unless it was viewable. Also there is nothing pointing to the area they were supposeably found, so how would one return to the maps back then?….just my thoughts
If an artifact is rare enough, the discovery is properly documented, and that discover knows the right people, then YES one could profit off a find. The trouble is, who's "owns" the land and whether or not the law is on your side are always the variables that come up the most to make any profit off a find worthwhile. With Travis you have a discovery that was kept a secret from the larger public (no media) and it was a discovery that happened by chance. What we researchers struggle with the most is whether or not the find is genuine. Mike (Gollum) has made some good arguments. No one can change a gut feeling about something. The more information you come across the more you can decide the genuineness of the discovery. That also makes a researcher very cautious at first. I'm definitely in that category. I believe in the stones as something other than a hoax or something that was faked. My apologies to Johney Steel, Noble Dwyer, W.B. Morris, Mexican bracero, and construction crew that didn't speak up after the 1964 Life magazine article came out. Those versions of the discovery story feel more like a campfire story or 'bar' talk to me than an actual occurrence. I could be wrong of course, but Travis clearly has the better hand.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar and mike, thats interesting . As I believe just above the Fish mntns are the 3 buttes for Peglegs lost black coated nuggets. Believe its the bottom butte of lore where they are. Im sure your very familiar with the story. Rightly named Butte pass by Ocotillo wells.
Hey Doc,

The 3 Buttes you are referring to are Borrego Mountain East Butte, Borrego Mountain, and Borrego Mountain West Butte. A crap-ton of people (myself included) have been all over those three peaks as they are easily accessible. If you go to the NorthWest edge of West Peak, you can find a prospect that Gene Reynolds was "The Lost Gonzales Mine" in Anza-Borrego that Adolph Ruth nearly died trying to find in 1919. He struck out for this "prospect" one evening, and fell down a deep wash. His leg was broken so badly, they had to put plates and screws in his leg, which is how his skeleton was identified when he was found on Blacktop Mesa.
P1010505.JPG

P1010509.JPG

borrego13prospect.jpg

Mike

EconoDBoon

Nov 27, 2021
Hello all,

I'm unable to find consensus from this group about the coordinates that RG posted in the "Tumlinson Saga" thread on Desert USA. Does anyone know what came of this? He posted them in 2018.

I went there and the carved/marked saguaro are there as RG claimed along with a 3' hole where he said the GPR guy robbed him. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to date the hole that was carved in to the saguaro. Seems like if the hole carvings are 70 years old then Travis hoaxed it. If they're six years old then maybe RG hoaxed it. The saguaro at the coordinates is about 16' tall spear.

Either way there is definitely a saguaro that was carved/marked by a human at the exact coordinates that are on the PSM.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,

I'm unable to find consensus from this group about the coordinates that RG posted in the "Tumlinson Saga" thread on Desert USA. Does anyone know what came of this? He posted them in 2018.

I went there and the carved/marked saguaro are there as RG claimed along with a 3' hole where he said the GPR guy robbed him. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to date the hole that was carved in to the saguaro. Seems like if the hole carvings are 70 years old then Travis hoaxed it. If they're six years old then maybe RG hoaxed it. The saguaro at the coordinates is about 16' tall spear.

Either way there is definitely a saguaro that was carved/marked by a human at the exact coordinates that are on the PSM.
Hello Econo,
I don’t know very much about the PSMs, but the saguaro at the coordinates shown on the stones, is maybe approximately 70-80 years old. (Avg age of 20’ saguaro is 80 years)
Hope that helps :icon_thumright:

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this would depend on the facts or what most believe are the facts ."Pegleg"s lost black coated nuggets" now there is a story few really know the details about ..,first off there was two very closely related details and two very different stories one is the details that i believe Mike above is talking about where Peg leg finds a few handfuls of Gold nuggets that are in fact black and smooth like river stone . then you have the second story Chuck Crawford where he never tells where he got the black stones he found and never really tells the hole story about the black small river stones he had and i also have some of these stones , but the difference between the two stories . is Chuck never says to anyone what those stones were other then the details come out much latter . now i can tell you what i know about those stones Chuck had . they only came from a very small area and were part of what i believe was a volcanic vent blow out . they are in fact Black platinum mixed with Carbon and yes it was true Chuck was most likely killed for those small stones and the location of those stones . because they also had micro diamonds in them . i have 7 of those ...they also had traces of a almost pure Gold ...i found that same type of Gold in 3 places .one of those sites is where i found the Black stones like the ones Chuck had .. i have only shown these stones to a very few people and one a jeweler that wanted very badly to buy them at any cost and i refused . the Diamonds are twin color Blue and yellow in the same stone . they are very small to micro in size ,but what makes them valued is they most likely come from a much larger deposit down deeper and are not found on or near the surface ,there are only two locations of real diamonds of this quality found in here in the US . these and the ones found in Arkansas that are not twin colored ..now the fact is in the case of the Arkansas diamonds some much larger stones have been found ,and that is my guess why some wanted Chuck to tell them where he got those stones .. if Chuck did tell them where they never found the location because they can still be found .i never knew chuck but i have collected the details threw the years and that's the story details as i know them ...

Attachments

• 20201124_162301.jpg
    20201124_162301.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201124_163304.jpg
    20201124_163304.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Hello all,

Either way there is definitely a saguaro that was carved/marked by a human at the exact coordinates that are on the

EconoDBoon

Nov 27, 2021
@sgtfda I see now from this post that you also came to the same conclusion as RG about the Priest/Horse map. This seems to lend credence to RG having actually found Travis' coordinates on the Priest/Horse map. Which implies (because only RG told this story as far as I know) that either Travis or RG carved the saguaro, right? So now the only question is how old are the saguaro carvings?

The saguaro that was carved by a human is exactly at the coords from the Priest/Horse map. And that saguaro is over a half mile from the road amongst 1000s of other saguaro.

How much collective effort is being spent trying to solve the Priest/Horse map that could be spent elsewhere should the dutch hunting community agree that the physical evidence proves that the Priest/Horse map was hoaxed?

The red circle is around me standing at the coordinates. The drone that took this shot is about halfway between me and the track that my truck is parked on. I'm posting it illustrate how impossible it would be for those saguaro to be randomly carved at the same spot with the coords that are on the Priest/Horse map.

horse-priest-coords.png

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
@sgtfda I see now from this post that you also came to the same conclusion as RG about the Priest/Horse map. This seems to lend credence to RG having actually found Travis' coordinates on the Priest/Horse map. Which implies (because only RG told this story as far as I know) that either Travis or RG carved the saguaro, right? So now the only question is how old are the saguaro carvings?

The saguaro that was carved by a human is exactly at the coords from the Priest/Horse map. And that saguaro is over a half mile from the road amongst 1000s of other saguaro.

How much collective effort is being spent trying to solve the Priest/Horse map that could be spent elsewhere should the dutch hunting community agree that the physical evidence proves that the Priest/Horse map was hoaxed?

The red circle is around me standing at the coordinates. The drone that took this shot is about halfway between me and the track that my truck is parked on. I'm posting it illustrate how impossible it would be for those saguaro to be randomly carved at the same spot with the coords that are on the Priest/Horse map.

View attachment 2002052
Your point? People have been carving things in those mountains for years. One of the best was Bob Ward setting up his treasure sites. At this point you can't trust any of them. I just stick to prospecting. There is nice gold if you know where to look. Just a hobby when I feel like it.

EconoDBoon

Nov 27, 2021
Your point?
My point is that seems like either Travis or RG carved those saguaro to set up their treasure site. I say this because no one else has spoken of the Horse/Priest map coordinates. If Bob Ward or someone else carved them why haven't there been any stories about it until RG?

For RG to have done it he would have had to assemble the numbers from the Horse/Priest map into coordinates that get you on to Tonto, then go to the coordinates and be lucky enough that a saguaro was at that exact location. Then carve the crap out of said saguaro 8' feet up the stem and carve the other saguaros that make up the site. Then he would have had to wait a few years for the saguaro to heal before telling the story and taking the photos to post online.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EconoDBoon

The single row of five Saguaro, were Spanish/Mexican markings for directions, and this if would been more ground yet to cover. When close and pointing to the target, they used to put another row of what the vegetation at the site would help them to do so, in about 40-45 gedrees angle from the other one row , in regards to form a half arrow point. So if you will find a row of five Saguaro or any other tree in a wild place, just follow the direction till the next marking which if not vegetation , could be of another kind.
Now, I cann't see on the Horse stone map any coordinates to pinpoint to a specific spot in a small area. I believe the spot you and RG have found, was found by Travis by accident and after that he noted it on a map or in a notebook as a suspected treasure site. After RG found that site by reading Travis notes, was ready to set up his TV real treasure site, but by founding nothing after a penetrating radar reading, he made up the story how of the man who did the reading stole the treasure... I have read best tales than this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread