Changing Coils

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Yes. Factory reset after changing coils would be correct.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...when changing a coil, I've ALWAYS shut machine off, changed the coil, turned machine back on. And there you have it sir.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Factory reset after changing coils would be correct.

I've never done a factory "Pre-set" after changing a coil, I am only changing the size of the coil itself, after that's done, need only to do a auto ground balance, because it's so easy, and your good to go.

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this from Garrett!

Thanks for being a Garrett customer and thanks for your patience . I certainly agree with you that $800.00 worth of product needs to be doing the job right ! I want to help you with that .That being said , it could just be your sensitivity is too high. I like that you tried another coil , that helps . Secondly , have you done a Factory Reset ??? It`s imperative to do a Factory Reset !when you change coils . Next , where is your sensitivity setting ? How is your coil cable wrapped ? These things really impact the performance of the detector. The coil cable should always !come over the top of the stem and wrapped snugly around it without any loose cable dangling above the coil that could create false signals. Since it is such a sensitive machine , if your sensitivity is too high , it will do just what you are describing . When you do a reset , it does 4 things . It automatically puts you in Std. Coins mode , puts you in F3 frequency , puts your sensitivity at TWO BARS BELOW full, and ground balances you at 80. These are optimal operating features and should be tried for testing your detector. All testing should be done outdoors away from outside electrical interference. Please try these things and see if it helps at all?*

Best regards,

!

Rusty Curry

Customer Service and Sales

Applications Advisor

Garrett Metal Detectors

Last edited:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this from Garrett!

Good morning Ben. Thanks for being a Garrett customer and thanks for your patience . I certainly agree with you that $800.00 worth of product needs to be doing the job right ! I want to help you with that .That being said , it could just be your sensitivity is too high. I like that you tried another coil , that helps . Secondly , have you done a Factory Reset ??? It`s imperative to do a Factory Reset !when you change coils . Next , where is your sensitivity setting ? How is your coil cable wrapped ? These things really impact the performance of the detector. The coil cable should always !come over the top of the stem and wrapped snugly around it without any loose cable dangling above the coil that could create false signals. Since it is such a sensitive machine , if your sensitivity is too high , it will do just what you are describing . When you do a reset , it does 4 things . It automatically puts you in Std. Coins mode , puts you in F3 frequency , puts your sensitivity at TWO BARS BELOW full, and ground balances you at 80. These are optimal operating features and should be tried for testing your detector. All testing should be done outdoors away from outside electrical interference. Please try these things and see if it helps at all?*

Best regards,

!

Rusty Curry

Customer Service and Sales

Applications Advisor

Garrett Metal Detectors

Thank you GI - I just added a NEL Storm to my AT Pro and while it worked well, I saw a couple of steps in Rusty's guidance to you that I'll make sure an apply. Thanks mate! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you GI - I just added a NEL Storm to my AT Pro and while it worked well, I saw a couple of steps in Rusty's guidance to you that I'll make sure an apply. Thanks mate! :icon_thumleft:

Javadroid,
That is why I hunted that down because I as well have a nel storm and want to give it a try this year! That email was sent to a guy named Ben and I just found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread