Charging Trouble

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
When I turned my new Manticore on the first time it showed 3/4 on the battery indicator. I hunted for three hours and the indicator dropped to 1/4. Charged the unit 5 hours that evening and it came up to 3/4 charged. The next day I put it back on the charger for 10 hours. It never finished charging - green light still blinking and battery indicator shows slightly over 3/4 charged. Anyone else have this trouble? Can I overcharge the battery?

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no issues charging my Manticore. Make sure you are using the corrector charger to charge your Manticore. Here is the charger I use.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
I have no issues charging my Manticore. Make sure you are using the corrector charger to charge your Manticore. Here is the charger I use.
I'm using the charger I bought for my Nox - the Minelab one: MINELAB #3011-0374 UNIVERSAL AC 4 – WAY CHARGER. Thanks!

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also check out the trouble shooting guide on page 67 of manual.

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
Thanks again, Hoagie. My charger has the right specs. I'll check the connectors and try it again.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
I think there is a problem, I just checked it and the battery status now shows 1/4 charged. I had it up to 3/4 charged two days ago. Haven't turned it on since then. I'm putting it on the charger, but don't have high hopes.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something is wrong if the battery is draining when the detector turned off. When detecting I make sure the key pad lighting, flashlight & vibration is turn off because all those things use power & will reduce battery runtime. Also the High Conductors mode will also reduce battery runtime.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
I put in a service request with Minelab Repair over the weekend. Not happy getting a lemon. Hopefully they can fix it up. I would really like a direct replacement with a new unit. I don't think that is happening though.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the manual mention the time required to fully charge the battery. The E TRAC charge time is 18 hours.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
Does the manual mention the time required to fully charge the battery. The E TRAC charge time is 18 hours.
The card that came with the unit said 7-8 hours. I went 15 with only 3/4 charge. Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The card that came with the unit said 7-8 hours. I went 15 with only 3/4 charge. Thanks
Did you try a different charging plug, what is the amp on charger your using?

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
Did you try a different charging plug, what is the amp on charger your using?
The Minelab charger I have is 2 amp. I have it on a 2 amp port of my powered usb hub ring now. Minelab repair wanted me to try another charger also. I don't have high hopes - charged it five hours last evening and it is only showing 1/4 charged this morning. I'll give it 8 hours today and see what happens. Sounds like Minelab will send me a new unit if it still won't take a charge!!!

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had good results with Minelab service center. The control pod on my Equinox 800 went bad when it was still under warranty and they sent me a new control pod within two weeks.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
I've had pretty good luck with them. They didn't do the best with my Excalibur. I wanted new headphones but they talked me into just fixing the one ear short. It worked for a month then shorted again. The unit is old... should have - could have... It's my son's unit now.

OP
OP
Robin (MI)

Robin (MI)

Jan 28, 2023
Detector(s) used
Modified Explorer II
Manticore
When I turned my new Manticore on the first time it showed 3/4 on the battery indicator. I hunted for three hours and the indicator dropped to 1/4. Charged the unit 5 hours that evening and it came up to 3/4 charged. The next day I put it back on the charger for 10 hours. It never finished charging - green light still blinking and battery indicator shows slightly over 3/4 charged. Anyone else have this trouble? Can I overcharge the battery?
I did get a faulty unit. The more I tried to charge it, the worse it took. I was beginning to wonder.

A Super Big Thank You to Minelab! Less than two weeks since I bought it and now I have a new replacement Manticore! Not a cent spent on shipping. The new unit fully charged in about 4-5 hours. I could not ask for better service than I received from Minelab Repair and Minelab Americas!!!! On to find treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread