Charleston sc copper and lead backing, any ideas

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
I found this piece a few days ago and posted it on todays finds. Since then I have cleaned the piece up a little bit and it shows some sort of image on it but I cant figure out what it is. The back side of this piece of copper is lead and I am unsure what it could be used for. The button I found with it was turned out to be a south carolina button with a palm tree, but it also was found in that black layer and is still partially encrusted like this item. It measure out to be around 2" x 2" and is very heavy, the lead side has two distinct ridges on it. It is a mystery piece to me and I would greatly appreciate and input. I took several angles of the item, as I dont know what end is up

Attachments

• IMG_3435.JPG
    IMG_3435.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3436.JPG
    IMG_3436.JPG
    976.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pic # one sure looks like a car to me, brand unknown . so my guess is a belt buckle. download.jpg

Upvote 0

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me it looks like a man standing in front of a vintage car. I agree Luke, printing block seems right to me as well.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black stuff might be tar or some type of black top road material so I would suggest soaking it in a solvent to see if it can be cleaned up, it shouldn't hurt the metal. It does look like a car with a person standing in front.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Printer's block, was once mounted to a wood block which is gone. Probably for an advertisement for a newspaper or magazine for the brand of car pictured. Often the text would be added below the picture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
You all were correct

Wow thanks for the input, you guys are good, i didnt see much of anything until you all pointed it out. I usually dont clean items but this piece was so encrusted with tar like material and it was not something of great importance. However it is a unique piece to me and cleaned it up some more. Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_3442.JPG
    IMG_3442.JPG
    801.4 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way cool find, cleaned up nicely. tough to get anything past the sleuths on "what is it" :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread