🥇 BANNER Chasing the dozer's and popping cherries, First US Gold Coin 1853-0 + a little Seated

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well tonight I finally dug my first gold coin, and it only took 7+ years.
I have been hunting a street tear-out the last 2 weekends, and recently they have started bringing in the limestone.
I couldn't wait until the weekend to get back over there, because I was afraid the backfill would be completed due to heavy rains predicted for this Saturday.
I normally don't night hunt, but I just had to make sure I could hit this spot at least one more time.
So I get over there this afternoon, and sure enough they are moving dirt. The whole stretch is almost completely covered up with crushed stone.
The workers were gone at dark. This site is in the downtown district. So the chatter is bad.
I decided to run 18k to help with the noise. I do not run 18k a lot, but it helps quiet things down, and with all the talk about hi frequencies lately, I figured why not Max the 9" LF coil out.
So after about 30 minutes I get a seated dime, and that was enough to satisfy me, and make me feel the trip was worth while. Second seated dime from this site.
About 30 minutes later I get a low tone, and im thinking nickel. I have dug 3 shield nickels out of here, so far.
I open the hole and I see a tiny shiny disk. I didn't realize how small a one dollar gold coin would actually be, so I am thinking what is this tiny piece of junk. Then wait, no freakin way. Could it be?? Yes it is! 1853-0 One Dollar Gold Coin. Being from the south, I really love seeing that 0 mint-mark.
IMG_1570.JPG IMG_1567.JPG View attachment 1658223

A few cleaned up pics, to compare size with seated dime.
IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

I just cant get over how small this one dollar gold piece is.
IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1578.JPG

A couple crusty nickels and an interesting lead seal.
IMG_1580.JPG

Had to stop off and pick up a 32" Shrimp Po-boy to celebrate with.
IMG_1572.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 175

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell, congrats on the Shrimp Po-boy....it’s a frickin 32 incher....seriously now, great find with gold dollar piece and the seated dimes

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You know, once you get the first one, they come easier. Congratulations on a great job saving that little gem.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the coin, and great job on celebrating it! Congrats brother, you earned it!

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The seated would be great but a GOLD DOLLAR too. Id be dancing in the street. Fantastic finds.

Jay Banta

Apr 17, 2018
Biloxi, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find, brother!! And to pick something that small out of that area is unbelievable!! Congratulations on that one! It’ll be hard to top this now!!!!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score! I found one of those years ago,but It was in a bezel. I was told that it “didn’t count “ as a gold coin because it was jewelry. Yours is the real deal and congrats. I’m putting in a Banner vote.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From one southern to another. I would like to say congratulations and a very nice find. I vote banner also.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to Everyone for the compliments and the Votes.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. Wow that is tiny. Well done, I’m sure there was a lot of junk/noise signals in that tear out. Congrats

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know which looks better, the gold coin or the Po Boy!

Congrats on your first gold coin!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know which looks better, the gold coin or the Po Boy!

Congrats on your first gold coin!!

Well the gold coin won’t melt in your mouth like that Poboy I can admit to that coming from a Louisiana boy. Help we taught them everything they know lol

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[
You definitely deserve it. I’ve seen you hunt and you hunt hard and you did it. And you learned what size a $1 coin size is.
The 32” poboy makes this New Orleans guy proud.

Banner
Thanks Truth, you know I always have to try to one-up ya. You have been setting the bar higher and higher these days.
:laughing7:
The Po-boy was good. Shared it with the wifey, and still had a little left-over for lunch today.
And Thank you for the Vote.
BTW, whats a po-boy? anything like a Subway

That's a good one, and thanks for the compliment. Similar to a Subway, but yet nothing like a Subway. Much Better!
That food looks my style, nice! I assume you wouldn't share that one like me?
Your instinct was right. Detecting is often about being in the right place at the right time & the windows can be very small & missed.

CONGRATS

Thank you My friend, and you are absolutely correct. A lot of these construction sites that I hunt are once in a lifetime for me. Once its covered up, its game over.
I love the Pics man. The best part of this post is that your gold coin looks like a dug coin should. You will treasure those pics. My favorite pics of my best coins are the fresh out of the dirt shots. Huge congrats to you buddy! That’s a great accomplishment
Thank you Buddy. Its not often that I can post something that you east coast guys would get excited over.
The pics definitely help tell the story. I gave the gold piece a quick wipe to tell what I was looking at in the dark, I do not think I will do any more cleaning to that baby.
Very well played sir. You had a small window of opportunity and you sailed right through it
:headbang:

Congrats on your first gold coin and the seated is sweet too. I will add a banner vote!

Thank you for the compliment Steve, and I appreciate the vote.
Always a pleasure..
Sweet. Pre civil war gold coin is about as good as it gets. These did not circulate afterwards and most Type I gold dollars were melted around 1861. Welcome to gold dollar club
Thanks for the compliment & info toasted.
I have been curious/wondering what time frame this was dropped.
Most of the coins have been dating to the 1880's, but the town/area imhunting in goes back a lot further.
Great find dude!
:icon_thumleft:

How big of a sammie will you buy when you find a 20 dollar gold piece?

Thanks Louie. I don't know, but its going to have to be pretty darn big.
Awesome find, brother!! And to pick something that small out of that area is unbelievable!! Congratulations on that one! It’ll be hard to top this now!!!!
Thanks Jay. You know where I was. It was just luck and timing. Definitely will be hard to top. Older or Larger?
Ok ok ok bonepicker I’m getting the damn Deus!!!!! [emoji4]

I’m still amazed how small that thing is.
Me too. I keep looking at it, wondering how many I might have gone over, and didn't dig.
The Deus is a Beast. I wouldn't mind trying that 800 you have been crushing it with, but I think the deus will excel in the hi-trash.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on scoring the gold. That’s everyone’s dream.

You’ve done well when a seated coin is a distant second.

Good luck to you.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's talk about that sandwich! LOL

Sincerest Congrats Bonepicker! I hope the first of many to come!

Best wishes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread