Check out old military painting - Middle Eastern.

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
Found this in the basement of my mom's house after she passed. I think it is oil but not sure of the medium. It is painted on a cloth. I remember it being in my grandparents house so I know it's over 100 years old now. I think it might be Armenian Freedom Fighters but someone thought Turkish. One soldier is just a boy. Can't find or see artist signature. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• OilPainting.jpg
    OilPainting.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 497
  • Oilpaint.jpg
    Oilpaint.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 489
OP
OP
siz3petite

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
THanks for the input. That's an interesting thought on the art piece, however, it is definitely not a photo. It is approx 14 in X 21 inches. It is stretched and nailed down over an old frame base. I have removed it from the old wooden outer frame and examined it and it is definitely created with some form of paint or oil on a cloth or canvas material. I can feel the paint on the surface of the material. I wish I was left with some info or clues from family members but most of them have passed.

Isayhello2u

Sep 15, 2006
california
Primary Interest:
Other
printing photos on canvas then painting over with oil has been done for many years.

I have a wedding photo of my paternal great, great, grandmother that was blown up and printed on canvas (not quite as large as yours) then the artist painted the image in oil over the photo. I have similar oil on canvas painted photos of my maternal grand parents mine were all done before 1925
(the older of mine was made around 1897 i think)

I would say they were Armenians (or Turkish) too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread