pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the 2 keepers, and 2 recoveries that I haven't seen posted up as yet.
Couple of really cool finds as being different
Dairy key seem like a very good possibility.

The button is post 1918

The Chantecler history:
"From the French words ‘chanter,’ meaning “to sing,” and ‘clair,’ meaning “bright,” the Chantecler is considered the first Canadian chicken breed. Under the supervision of Brother Chatelain, the monks of the Cistercian Abbey in Oka, Quebec, sought to create, “a fowl of vigorous and rustic temperament that could resist the climatic conditions of Canada, a general-purpose fowl.”
The Chantecler was created by first crossing a Dark Cornish male with a White Leghorn female, and a Rhode Island Red male with a White Wyandotte female. The following season, pullets from the first cross were mated to a cockerel from the second cross.
Selected pullets from this last mating were then mated to a White Plymouth Rock male, thus producing This produced a pure White Chantecler. Although work began in 1908, the breed wasn’t introduced to the public until 1918, and was admitted to the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection in 1921."

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button is post 1918

I don't think that's necessarily the case, or that it has anything to do with chicken-breeding.

I think you’ll find it’s what is known as a “theatre button”… one of many from the late 1800s to early 1900s taking inspiration for their designs from theatrical roots, and ostentatiously worn by highbrow folks.

In this case, the inspiration was the play “Chantecler” written by Edmond Rostand, which has a chanticleer (rooster) as its main character. The play premiered on 7 February 1910 at the Théâtre de la Porte Saint-Martin in Paris, and made its American debut on Broadway in 1911.

Nice button.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think that's necessarily the case, or that it has anything to do with chicken-breeding.

I think you’ll find it’s what is known as a “theatre button”… one of many from the late 1800s to early 1900s taking inspiration for their designs from theatrical roots, and ostentatiously worn by highbrow folks.

In this case, the inspiration was the play “Chantecler” written by Edmond Rostand, which has a chanticleer (rooster) as its main character. The play premiered on 7 February 1910 at the Théâtre de la Porte Saint-Martin in Paris, and made its American debut on Broadway in 1911.

Nice button.
They time old question comes back to haunt us all.
What came first "The Chicken or the Play?" :laughing7:
Great info once again Red_Coat

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I searched vintage Brass chicken button and a bunch came up in images,some remarkably similar to yours.Try it and see what you think.I used yahoo search but any search engine should work.
Says 'Chantecler' on the side which is some sort of fancy french chicken breed so I'm assuming it's a livery button from France probably clothing mail ordered through sears catalogue by some homesteader. My internet is weird latley didn't even realize all the responses when I posted this..oops and thanks everyone it was an unusual find.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice button.
That could very well be the case.
1908 was the start of the Monk's breeding program
Play came out in 1910
The Name " Chantecler" was given to this breed by the Monk in Oka QC.
So was it monk or the play wright that first came up with the name?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Says 'Chantecler' on the side which is some sort of fancy french chicken breed so I'm assuming it's a livery button from France probably clothing mail ordered through sears catalogue by some homesteader.
French as in Quebec Canada
Not France
Not giving them credit on this amazing breed of chicken :laughing7:

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! I'm inclined to agree with the diary theory..
Its so small that its either that or a charm...thinking there would have been another charm in a set with a heart with a lockhole or something you would give to your beau/sweetheart

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That could very well be the case.
1908 was the start of the Monk's breeding program
Play came out in 1910
The Name " Chantecler" was given to this breed by the Monk in Oka QC.
So was it monk or the play wright that first came up with the name?
All this chicken talk now i'm thinking of the lilliputians and their egg issues..lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:notworthy:
Those Monks made great chicken breeds and beer it seems. :occasion14:
I'm having fun with this thanks Pep I needed it, the things you learn digging stuff up kinda blows my mind sometimes. Leads one down neglected paths of inquiry for sure!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm having fun with this thanks Pep I needed it, the things you learn digging stuff up kinda blows my mind sometimes. Leads one down neglected paths of inquiry for sure!
Totally agree 👍
I have learnt more from falling down the rabbit holes in research because of a certain recovery.
I learnt something today about some plagiarizing going on by some playwright.
Well maybe it was the Monk. :laughing7:
It's a good day either way, learning something totally different/unexpectedly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread