OP
OP
R

research guy

Apr 8, 2019
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
There would be a fair amount of mineralization background noise in this area as well.

GRIZE

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m looking for opinions on which make and model of metal detectors to get, in order to look for gold in sandy strata. If you could choose three: a general broad deep penetrating detector, an acute nugget detector, and a sharp acute pin pointer…. Which three would you recommend if price was of moderate consideration?
You might consider a mine lab equinox 800 or CTX 3030.. mine lab gold monster gold only unit.. several other multi purpose with gold programs XP Dues,XP ORX. Get the best pin pointer you can get some units include them in package.ill do so more looking.

GRIZE

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might consider a mine lab equinox 800 or CTX 3030.. mine lab gold monster gold only unit.. several other multi purpose with gold programs XP Dues,XP ORX. Get the best pin pointer you can get some units include them in package.ill do so more looking.
Mine lab GPX 6000 new machine not cheap..and there's several other high end units if $ no object. mine lab 7000 ... And 3d units nokta makro invenio..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites GMT
Minelab GPX 4000
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Nokta/Makro Gold Kruzer
Fisher Goldbug Pro

Pinpointers are useless for small pickers. Good Luck! :headbang:

OP
OP
R

research guy

Apr 8, 2019
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks guys! These are great suggestion to start evaluating my options. Right off the preliminary get go, I already like the idea if whites GMT and minelab goldmonster 1000. Worth taking a deeper dive into the specifics of each machine.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did not say how deep it was, or how large the gold is that is found. If your material is more than a couple of inches and your gold is small then a VLF is a waste of money, if your material is say 10 or 12 inches to hard pack and the gold is on average of 4-5 grams then a VLF could be a choice, but unless you live in Northern CA or Australia, that size gold is scarce.

Most large washes I've seen(in southern AZ) there is little bedrock, the sand is 3-10 feet, if that is the case you need a backhoe.The average wash I look in is 2-3 feet wide there the bedrock might still be at 10 feet but there is a clay layer at 10-12 inches. I've found a couple of 4-5 gramer's, usually at 6-8 inches in clay or hard packed red dirt, most of the gold that is found is sub gramer's. Buy both a PI and VLF cover your bases.

As you go north in AZ the bedrock is shallower, southern AZ=deep, if you are unsure of the area you are going to prospect either find the geological reports or spend a day with a #2 shovel

OP
OP
R

research guy

Apr 8, 2019
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
You did not say how deep it was, or how large the gold is that is found. If your material is more than a couple of inches and your gold is small then a VLF is a waste of money, if your material is say 10 or 12 inches to hard pack and the gold is on average of 4-5 grams then a VLF could be a choice, but unless you live in Northern CA or Australia, that size gold is scarce.

Most large washes I've seen(in southern AZ) there is little bedrock, the sand is 3-10 feet, if that is the case you need a backhoe.The average wash I look in is 2-3 feet wide there the bedrock might still be at 10 feet but there is a clay layer at 10-12 inches. I've found a couple of 4-5 gramer's, usually at 6-8 inches in clay or hard packed red dirt, most of the gold that is found is sub gramer's. Buy both a PI and VLF cover your bases.

As you go north in AZ the bedrock is shallower, southern AZ=deep, if you are unsure of the area you are going to prospect either find the geological reports or spend a day with a #2 shovel
I agree with everything you’ve stated. This is why I was asking about recommendations for 3 specific individual machines: one with a broad range and depth, one that discriminates gold acutely, and a quality pin pointer.

The gold has been historically recorded at one site to be corn kernel size or less, down to the fines. The other site I’m looking at doesn’t have a historical description of gold weight or size, but it is located higher in the mountains. So in one aspect I have loose sand that is full of black sands and mineralization, while the other site essentially almost sits directly on levels of bedrock. I’m just trying to select 3 machines or configurations that will offer me the greatest general advantage, universally covering both site to prospect each of them well enough, and gold is the target at both places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions