???? Cibola users

T

tallpaul

HI GREG friend of mine has a cibola, and has just bought the triedent l which has taken over from the cibola same machine just better discrim,, he uses a moderate slow sweep not to fast in other words,, depth he says is good and ive seen him pull coins out from 9" depth,, the trident ll would be better the old vaquero,, but yes i would say and i know others would too,- the cibola is a good solid machine, HH paul..

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I ran into a Tesoro dealer at the WATTS hunt this fall. His wife had the choice of any detector and she swore (of course) by the Cibola. You have to have a pretty fast swing recovery for competition hunts. I can't tell you how the depth was as everything was shallow but she did well in the hunts. I also know she opted for the factory added high tone model. I am still comtemplating whether the Ace 250 or the Cibola for the wife, she likes both but the Cibola is lighter and she seems to like it a little better.

OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Thanks guys, I swing pretty fast and was concerned with that most. I have an ACE250 and feel I'm missing some deeper targets. I think this machine is the answer!!!! Now I gotta save some clad ;)
Greg

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read lots on this machine and I think it would out preform the 250 in depth. People really say they are fantastic all around detectors and I have seen them used go for around 200.00 but they never last long. ??? I am going to find a used one one of these days. Got to hide a little money from the wife along the way. ;)LOL I have 3 detectors already and I can't see her let me run out and buy another one. Two I have bought since February.

OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
LOL I am in the same boat Birdman!!!! I "mentioned" that I might want another detector come spring, and my wife just gave me "the look"!!!!! I guess i'll have to save my change all winter and hope I can get one for next year.
:-\
HH
Greg

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ? I've never tried one, but I've been looking at the Cibola too. As well as the Vaquero or the Tejon. ?Most reviews I've seen on them, sound good. ?3 reviews though, said they lose depth rapidly in heavier mineralized ground. But I can't say one way or the other. ?The 3 negative reviews I mentioned, along with some positive reviews. Are at ?www.metaldetectorreviews.net
?Reviews are left by owners. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
I recently purchased a Cibola but because of winter I was not able to use it as much as I wanted. I was able to search a few thawed out square feet of my front yard which I had hunted with a 1266X. In the short time that Ii used it I found 1 1940 penny, 1946 penny and a 1963 Canadian silver dime.

Air testing reveals it to be deeper than the Fisher. Also there is no snap crackle and pop. Good targets are well defined. Easy to set up and start hunting. Very light at 2.2 lbs, but a bit bottom heavy.

Battery life is likely not as good as the 1266X, probably 10 - 20 hours. There is no manual ground balance so at this point in time machine is unproven in different areas.

Good lifetime warranty for original buyer. Good customer reviews.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rvbvetter said:
? ? ? ??3 reviews though, said they lose depth rapidly in heavier minerilized ground.

I think this is true of all VLF machines. It depends on the extent of the mineralization.

I've never owned this machine but from what I've read it seems to do as well as the Minelab Sovereign or Excalibur (maybe even better). I'd have to run them side-by-side to know for sure.

I used the Excalibur last summer and it goes deep. But if you hit some stiff mineral dirt the game is over. I have a spot in my own yard where my Excal couldn't detect a silver half at 4 inches. Another 10 feet from this spot it will detect it at 10-12 inches.

I'm betting the Tesoro Cibola and higher models are about as good as any VLF up to about $1200. This would just be a guess from what I've read and my own experiences with many brands and types over 37 years of hunting.

The detecting world really needs some sort of entirely new system if we're ever going to know consistent extreme depths over all soils with extra SMART discrimination. But for right now, the company that perfects a reasonably priced PI with excellent iron discrimination is going to rule the day.

BFO - TR - VLF - ?

R

rvbvetter

Just a heads up here. In this forums Dealer classifieds section, I see there's 2 Cibolas for sale. One for $250.00 and the other for $265.00 HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I think the higher $ one is the factory added high tone. From what I understand, it's worth the extra 15 dollars.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if you guys are still checking this post but I've decided to do most of my future Tesoro posting here.

Last week I finally decided to order the Tesoro DeLeon.?I mailed in my order the day before Christmas.

I'm 100% convinced it's all the detector I'm going to need for years to come.

I'm also convinced that the Cibola is also an awesome machine and I have no doubt that it is deeper than the Minelabs and at least equals most Whites, Garretts, and Fishers.

I received a Cibola on December 21 and went to my local Little League baseball park for about 20 minutes. I found three pennies, part of silver spoon (?), and several dozen pull tops. I don't have a headphone set yet, but I do believe I know what a pull top sounds like now. I have made a couple other short MD'ing trips and found lots of cans, pull tops, and barbed wire. I know it is just a matter of time before I begin to learn what the machine is telling me and get that "dig" or "don't dig" signal down pat. I am well pleased with my Cibola and just wish I had more time to MD.

R

rvbvetter

Well, now I went and did it!! :-\ I just bought a Tesoro Tejon. I'll have to see how it stacks up depth wise with my EXP II, DFX, and CZ 3D.
Zeb; I'm a bit surprised you seemingly put ML at the bottom of the depth chart, of the brands you mentioned above. But then it's possible your soil is that much different than mine.
Anyway, I think we'll both soon be having some fun trying out our new toys. HH

OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Well, I finally did it!!! I have a Tesoro Cibola on the way. Thanks to all who responded to this post and helped make my decision easier. I will update with some finds as soon as the snow melts and the ground is diggable :)
HH
Greg

OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi all, I rec'd my Cibola last night and did a quick test. My yard is almost all snow still, but in one bare spot managed to find a pull tab!!!! This is a very different machine and I'm sure it will be great. Air tests were quite impressive!!!
I'll do a formal review once I've had some time with her.
Greg

R

rvbvetter

Congrats on your new Cibola!! I'm sure you'll make many great finds with it.
Wouldn't you just know it though. The only bare spot and there's a pull tab.
Anyway, Enjoy your new detector. Looking forward to seeing the finds you make with it. HH

R

rvbvetter

I've never used the Quatro or Cibola. But I have a couple ML's a Tesoro a Whites and a couple of Fishers. So I'm not brand loyal. I just go with what works for me and that can handle the soil I hunt in. Where I detect, the soil can and does go from mild to wild. I read the article at the link you left. And what I'm about to say is not pointed at you. But about all I can say about that article is,

"MALARKY"

It sounds very much like inexperience performed those tests. At the very least experience should have told him, there was no solid iron down there to dig.
After a certain point the Tesoro will think many things are silver or good. Such as a small piece of aluminum foil. I've run into this with other brands also. So it's not just Tesoro.
Also I believe I've read this test before. But it was quite sometime back and I'm beginning to think that it has become somewhat of an Urban Legend. And is just being repeated by different individuals as time go's along.
My intent here is not to bash Tesoro. Because I feel they're a fine detector. I would be selling mine if I felt they weren't.
But in my opinion this article or test is not accurate. Nor realistic. HH

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the cibola for a back up . I thought for the price and all the good reviews I would get a good machine. I really am impressed. The weight is only 2.2 pounds it only takes one 9 volt and it is very stright foward. I had been using a CZ 5 mainly(great detector also) but I wanted a back up/loaner .I bought an ID Excel used and it worked great for about 6 hours . I got it repaired and traded it for a new cibola .At first I did not care for the cibola because I was so used to multi tones of my cz that one tone seemed insufficent. I ended up going back to my main detector for a while. I started woods hunting once the fields all got planted and the grass took over and I found that the cibola really shined ! It has real good depth(maybe just a hair less then my CZ5) is lite,I rarly dig rusty nailswith the discrimination set just below the to Iron mark but I still pick up grape shot and cannon ball chunks. I think for the price this machine is the best detector in its class bare none.You don't have the distractions of some of the higher end machines.Just turn on and go. The low tone took a little getting used to but now I prefer it .I have pulled dozens of musket balls,coins ,(One roman),two cannon balls,several grape shot and other odds and ends. I am very happy with the tesoro cibola.For 340.00 and a lifetime warranty You just can't go wrong. I still am not crazy with the pinpoint. I run wideopen (supertuned) and the pinpoint is pretty much un useable . I have read that they hit hard on hot rocks but I have never dug any(may not be any here). Hope this helps somebody. For the money ,5 stars for sure. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread