Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its time, my wife wants to move up from the Compadre. We have the Vaquero but she does not to do the GB thing. The question is , is the Cibola easy to use? Does it have the same average depth of the Vaq? Will it still work at the beach or in high min soil? We have been really happy with all the Tesoro's so I think sticking with the brand would be a good thing for her.
ANY thoughts or opinions on the CIBOLA would be great! Thank you!!!!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you mention beach, especially wet salt sand and high mineral soil, you've just made the connection to why you probably should look beyond the Cibola. It's a great detector for reasonable soil and dry sand, but may not handle either wet salt sand or high minerlazation well and end up being a disappointment. Ground balancing isn't that difficult. Show her how easy it is with the Vaquero and let her practice it a bit. Then, if you're buying new, get either another Vaq or an Outlaw. Or, you might watch for a clean, used Eldorao umax or Banditto II umax.
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cibola is a great machine, and works in DRY sand at the beach just fine. it is NOT as deep as the Vaquero by 1"-3" depending on soils and coils. It is factory pre-set on the ground balance, so if you change coils they need to be tuned to the machine at the factory. All in all, it is one of the best machines I own. Light, easy to use and like a Compadre on steroids!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think she would be very happy with a Cibola. Have a buddy who loves his, he has 5 or 6 machines and uses the Cibola the most.

RHG

Greenie
Jan 30, 2014
Round Up City Oregon
Detector(s) used
F19 F44 Treasure Pro GMT Tesoro Cibola Whites Coinmaster GT White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one and it is very user friendly...

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is modify Cibola. but it kill the life time warranty allso how to power balance
you can power balance Vaquero

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I wont ask how you go about modding the Cibola looks good though. Does the Cibola have the same VCO like the Vaquero when pinpointing ?

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok the Cibola showed up and now we have 4 Tesoro's . She seems happy with it , she says its a lot deeper machine than her Compadre.
In 1984 the summer Olympics were held at the Colosseum in Los Angels , my wife attended the games. When we went out the first time with her new Cibola she found this, which is Sam the Olympic Eagle mascot from the 84' games. Kinda cool!!
image.jpg

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you are liking the Cibola. I think it is a great choice for the dollar amount.

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool pin Hobojoe!
Glad to hear the good comments about the Cibola. I WAS thinking of getting a Compadre, but have since changed my mind. I think I will be ordering a Cibola VERY SOON!

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is modify Cibola. but it kill the life time warranty allso how to power balance
you can power balance Vaquero

can someone explaine this "Power Balance" he is talking about in this video.
It looked like a normal ground bslance to me except maybe he was in discriminate mode while doing it or something.
What am I missing here?

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can someone explaine this "Power Balance" he is talking about in this video.
It looked like a normal ground bslance to me except maybe he was in discriminate mode while doing it or something.
What am I missing here?

First of all he's using a modded Cibola not a Vaquero. That being said I think what he/you are referring to is where the unit is ground balanced to a normal tone throughout the "pumping" i.e. no change in the tone, then back off on the positive balance just a bit by turning it towards the negative, what this does I HAVE NO IDEA you have to ask someone else to explain the whole THEORY thing. The effect is to make it more sensitive under certain soil conditions.
Again seek some one else to give you the real reason why it works!

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all he's using a modded Cibola not a Vaquero. That being said I think what he/you are referring to is where the unit is ground balanced to a normal tone throughout the "pumping" i.e. no change in the tone, then back off on the positive balance just a bit by turning it towards the negative, what this does I HAVE NO IDEA you have to ask someone else to explain the whole THEORY thing. The effect is to make it more sensitive under certain soil conditions.
Again seek some one else to give you the real reason why it works!

i go slightly to the positive side sometimes.. Never heard the term "Power balance" before so I thought maybe I was missing something. Ill have to watch the video again.

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what, Im not even sure that Power Balance is what I described, it has something to do with the DISC and beeping and spinning in the air and jumping up and down 4 times while chanting " wanna siam" real fast!
There is a real technique that is called Power Balancing , but good luck. If you figure it out please post a vid!!!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want it also look into getting the high tone version of the Cibola. I like that tone much better than the standard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread