Civil War Accouchements or Insignia?

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone please positively identify these two artifacts? Oval item is heavy brass with a six or nine on it, back is plain with a rim like it came off something. Leaf is thin brass, probably, also nothing on the back other than the reverse of the impression. Found in an area civil war or earlier military items could be found.

Front and back photos now attached.

E6FF085C-7659-46F7-8003-F2214A136BDB.jpeg
68A132DB-482D-435D-B737-36EB03DED144.jpeg

Attachments

• 540D5381-EA41-49A7-BBB9-BB9CDF8B2034.jpeg
    540D5381-EA41-49A7-BBB9-BB9CDF8B2034.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We really need to see good pics of the back of each relic.

The oval item could be a militia plate of some kind - like a breast plate or cartridge box. May be CW or earlier.

The leaf thing may be a saddle or bridle decoration. Not military.

Upvote 0

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone please positively identify these two artifacts? Oval item is heavy brass with a six or nine on it, back is plain with a rim like it came off something. Leaf is thin brass, probably, also nothing on the back other than the reverse of the impression. Found in an area civil war or earlier military items could be found.

View attachment 1802122

Hey Pop, do not clean it. May be older than civil war. cleaning ruins sale value.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The oval brass piece appears to be either a belt plate or a cartridge box plate of some sort. Most likely a military piece.

Upvote 0

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with devldog, looks old military, likely early militia. Predates the Civil War, but that's not to say some soldier didn't take his dad or granddad's plate off to war.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The leaf may be broken from a Victorian era fashion brooch or hair clip. Seems like it was a popular motif. Do a Google image search on 'Victorian brass leaf brooch' and you will see similar examples.

c5b44829e6bc04503c9250589bfc631f.jpg

Tell us the state and county where the oval item was found and I'll look into local militia possibilities. Without some idea of where the relic was found, it is VERY difficult to research.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all things, I have seen late 19th century house numbers (like for an address) made like the piece with the number on it.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
North Alabama

No such thing as "North" down there. I think you mean "Upper" Alabama.

I'm originally from Mobile. I always tell people I was born in LA - Lower Alabama. :laughing7:

The 6th Alabama Volunteer militia was from the counties of Greene, Marengo, Perry, and Cahawba. The Alabama Militia Law was written in 1820 and regiments were organized in the years following.

I'm still thinking pre-Civil War militia plate - But I can't prove it...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several local experts agree the plate is pre civil war and likely militia. Possibly as early as revolution, from a veteran, probably a shoulder plate missing the lead backing. Leaf is civil war insignia, Union, and actually copper. That’s the latest I have.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the word you're looking for in the Title is "accoutrement", not "accouchement".
The former is a decorative article you might wear, while the latter relates to the process of giving birth to a baby. :)

Normally, I'm not "the guy" who points out spellcheck mistakes, etc...
But in this case, I didn't know accouchements was even a word -- so a big thanks for that!
I've learned something today; so the day is not wasted! :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread