Civil War battle fields and detecting for items-permission from Park Ranger 1st?

Ben Smith

Aug 16, 2008
Warrensburg,Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I'm a newbie here, glad to meet everyone. I have some questions regarding civil war battle grounds in Missouri. There are several sites here that are rich in history and I know of some people who have removed cannon balls and other things (not sure where they removed them from though) any way's, the state has many locations that might yield a tresure trove and I'd like to get in on this. My next question is: will I need to get permission from a park ranger to use a metal detector on these grounds? I'm sure a lot of the land is private after all these years and I know I would need permission from the owner prior to going in, don't want to get shot you know......reminds me of a quote I read somewhere "Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't"
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Ben

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Civil War battle fields and detecting for items-permission from Park Ranger

If there is a park ranger there, don't even mention metal detecting. Not only can you lose your detector but your car also and any relics at your house! It is illegal to hunt national parks. So your best bet is to knock on some doors and find who owns land nearby and try and get permission from the land owner.
Mike

OP
OP
B

Ben Smith

Aug 16, 2008
Warrensburg,Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
Thanks for the info. I thought I might be treading on thin ice with the parks. plenty of farm land around here and some undeveloped land that may pan out well.
Thanks again!
Ben

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben, be sure to get a signed forum that the owner of the land says it's OK to hunt his property and that he is giving you permission. You may need a document like this later. Better safe than sorry.

I have been hunting sites that I have permission to hunt and someone will call the law on me, I just take out the forum that I have signed by the owner and that is the end of the story.

Main thing about relic hunting is PERMISSION, PERMISSION, PERMISSION!!!!

Good Luck,
Ringfinder

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near the Pea Ridge National Battlefield. A few years back a couple of fellows were caught nighthawking the battlefield. The Park Rangers and the County Sheriff took a serious interest in this activity. So serious the gentlemen in question lost their equipment, several thousand dollars worth. They also lost several more thousand each in fines, spent some time in the lockup, and are now federal felons, which means they cannot vote, own a firearm or run for office among other things. This stays on the record forever. It's no joke.

There's plenty of private land that's available for the asking.

ww2digger

Aug 27, 2008
Blimey !!!

You guys have it tough in America !

The worst that has ever happened to me was a farmer charging across a field on a quad, screeching to a halt next to me then demanding to know what i was doing 'on my bloody landdddddd !'.

10 minutes later after a bit of explanation and a striking up of conversation I was on the BACK of his quad as he took me to a spot that 'feels like it might be a good area to search'. He even came back 3 hours later to see what i'd found and then gave me a lift to where i parked the car some 2 miles away :) :) :)

Oh.....and an old woman once told me it was disgusting that i was digging up grass :) :) :)

Judging by your experiences i think i'll stick to England !

ww2digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread