Civil war bullets, 6 rings and silver from the school, the water was a dud but scout camp keeps giving

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a chance to go back to the civil war bullet school. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 finishing a grid in front of the school and starting a new one in the back. I found a spoon bowl, a CSX heart pin, a pendant, half a key, 6 rings, a dog whistle, 2 civil war bullets, part of a bracelet, tabs and aluminum cans.

165D6D78-2588-4CBA-9051-98E289E06E97.jpeg

I found four rings in a spill. Unfortunately all of the rings are junky. All the rings were in the front of the school.

F540C421-B403-4735-B3C9-26FDCE8364F0.jpeg

The 2 civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie ball and a Williams type III cleaner bullet. The piece of a bracelet is silver. It is a pretty little piece, too bad I couldn’t find the other half. The civil war bullets and the silver bracelet were all found in the back of the school.

73532232-77D7-4E1E-A077-139EF403A640.jpeg

The afternoons have been rainy so my wife and I have had to walk at the mall. I have found 3 pennies and a dime while walking and 2 quarters in the vending machine coin returns. The coinstar at the markets have been empty, but I always check them out when I go in.

Made my weekly trip to the scout camp. I have been doing better than expected in the few areas I have not yet cleaned out and I was hoping my luck would continue. I went back and continued to work the staff area. This time I was in the central area away from the tents and I was not expecting to find as much. I also wanted to check out another part of the camp and spent an hour of my time checking to see if it was to be my next section.

In 6.5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 232 coins (173 pennies) with a face value of $9.23, 41 camp tent pegs, a bow saw, a mess kit lid/frypan, metal parts of a folding canvas cot, an official Boy Scout silverware set complete with pouch, a fancy carabiner, a pocket knife, a box knife, a hand drill chuck, 2 tokens, an aluminum hat shaped pendant/charm, a scout medallion, an earring, a crucifix, some aluminum cans and a few tabs.

33DF2AB0-B523-4467-A110-272E705FB3CD.jpeg

B2B38529-603A-4CA8-8C53-939F7F50B4F3.jpeg

FD771394-22FE-44E5-B76E-7479DA5EBF9B.jpeg

The tokens are an LGV (Louis George Vending) and a NAMCO. I thought the crucifix might be silver, but it is only plated. Made in Italy.

1727137F-3A61-4338-84E2-AED39BCC1233.jpeg

2EF474D3-92BB-4F30-88F8-50841E2099C8.jpeg

The scout medallion is part of a flag pole plaque. The medallions are on a screw shaft that goes into the concrete base of the flag pole. There is one on each corner of the plaque. I have found several others, but this is the first one with the shaft still attached. I returned it to the camp ranger when I went back up.

66F16C05-FD09-41E6-80B4-ACBA03322B35.jpeg

228B2E2A-9DBD-4364-801B-698F26EDD1B9.jpeg

Since this is the last week I can detect the state parks before the summer detecting prohibition I thought I would give the local park swimming area a try. It has been cold with only a few warm days and I cleaned it out pretty good in the fall so I didn’t expect much, just as always hoping for a little luck. You never know what might be there until you start swingin.

I spent 5.5 hours in the cold water (50 in the morning with clouds and a high of 64 didn’t warm up the water much) swingin the ATPro with very disappointing results. 1 dime, 2 selfie stick retainers, 3 tabs, 4 sinkers, an earring back, a small amount of foil and a nice big heavy chain.

52087329-D2A5-4F85-A8A6-F69F1ED03494.jpeg

The chain is marked 14k and I thought I had a real winner, but I tested it and it’s a fake darn it. A guy I met once detecting in the water said “if you find a coin and a piece of junk jewelry it has been a successful hunt”. So by those standards it was a successful hunt, but not very satisfying. A lot of swingin in the cold water and not much to show for it. I’ve been luck lately so I can’t really complain.

8CFA0EA4-C438-4061-AFA4-4B4B65DD7F4A.jpeg

Since the water was not very productive I decided to wait until it warms up and more contributors hit the water before I do more water hunting. So I went back to camp to try another area.

I spent 6 hours going over the old handicraft area and doing a wander around looking for more promising areas. Handicraft didn’t have a lot to offer but all together I did manage to find 97 coins with a face value of $7.83, 28 camp tent pegs, a trunk handle and half a hinge, a cable eye, a pair of needle nose vise grip pliers, a small aluminum ingot, a dead wrist watch, a pirate ring, 2 rope tensioners, 2 sinkers, a pair of padlock keys, a fake cob coin, 3 leatherwork stamps and a few tabs and assorted junk.

C6638F4C-CF37-4D78-BCB6-2075ED0E34D2.jpeg

9BE1F6CE-DE3C-4A45-AE45-6B652FC9E51F.jpeg

I have found a decent number of the leatherwork stamps. They use 2 different sizes of handle that fits in the back of the stamp depending on the size of the stamp and it is struck with a mallet to stamp the damp leather. Here are a few I have found this winter and will turn over to the camp next week as they prepare to open for the summer.

42E42732-58C2-42EC-9BF5-1CB0960D041E.jpeg

I have found several of the aluminum ingots over the years. They are different shapes as you can see. I believe they are part of the requirements for the metalwork merit badge.

35FC88C8-9D31-42A7-B985-32F7B738D480.jpeg

Not my best hunt at camp but a respectable days finds, decent money and a nice variety of miscellaneous extras.

So ends another week of swingin. Some civil war lead, a little silver, 7 rings, good clad and a nice variety of other things. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
C6638F4C-CF37-4D78-BCB6-2075ED0E34D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E008552-BB15-4D98-B5EE-954D5016F851.jpeg
    8E008552-BB15-4D98-B5EE-954D5016F851.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 24
  • 9D5E9822-7311-4074-BCA1-73F5B8AFB982.jpeg
    9D5E9822-7311-4074-BCA1-73F5B8AFB982.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 3BF810A0-9D23-4891-A6C0-7B347909E65B.jpeg
    3BF810A0-9D23-4891-A6C0-7B347909E65B.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a chance to go back to the civil war bullet school. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 finishing a grid in front of the school and starting a new one in the back. I found a spoon bowl, a CSX heart pin, a pendant, half a key, 6 rings, a dog whistle, 2 civil war bullets, part of a bracelet, tabs and aluminum cans.

View attachment 2028977

I found four rings in a spill. Unfortunately all of the rings are junky. All the rings were in the front of the school.

View attachment 2028979

The 2 civil war bullets are a .58 caliber minie ball and a Williams type III cleaner bullet. The piece of a bracelet is silver. It is a pretty little piece, too bad I couldn’t find the other half. The civil war bullets and the silver bracelet were all found in the back of the school.

View attachment 2028978

The afternoons have been rainy so my wife and I have had to walk at the mall. I have found 3 pennies and a dime while walking and 2 quarters in the vending machine coin returns. The coinstar at the markets have been empty, but I always check them out when I go in.

Made my weekly trip to the scout camp. I have been doing better than expected in the few areas I have not yet cleaned out and I was hoping my luck would continue. I went back and continued to work the staff area. This time I was in the central area away from the tents and I was not expecting to find as much. I also wanted to check out another part of the camp and spent an hour of my time checking to see if it was to be my next section.

In 6.5 hours with the CZ21 I managed to find 232 coins (173 pennies) with a face value of $9.23, 41 camp tent pegs, a bow saw, a mess kit lid/frypan, metal parts of a folding canvas cot, an official Boy Scout silverware set complete with pouch, a fancy carabiner, a pocket knife, a box knife, a hand drill chuck, 2 tokens, an aluminum hat shaped pendant/charm, a scout medallion, an earring, a crucifix, some aluminum cans and a few tabs.

View attachment 2028985

View attachment 2028984

View attachment 2028980

The tokens are an LGV (Louis George Vending) and a NAMCO. I thought the crucifix might be silver, but it is only plated. Made in Italy.

View attachment 2028982

View attachment 2028981

The scout medallion is part of a flag pole plaque. The medallions are on a screw shaft that goes into the concrete base of the flag pole. There is one on each corner of the plaque. I have found several others, but this is the first one with the shaft still attached. I returned it to the camp ranger when I went back up.

View attachment 2028983

View attachment 2028986

Since this is the last week I can detect the state parks before the summer detecting prohibition I thought I would give the local park swimming area a try. It has been cold with only a few warm days and I cleaned it out pretty good in the fall so I didn’t expect much, just as always hoping for a little luck. You never know what might be there until you start swingin.

I spent 5.5 hours in the cold water (50 in the morning with clouds and a high of 64 didn’t warm up the water much) swingin the ATPro with very disappointing results. 1 dime, 2 selfie stick retainers, 3 tabs, 4 sinkers, an earring back, a small amount of foil and a nice big heavy chain.

View attachment 2028987

The chain is marked 14k and I thought I had a real winner, but I tested it and it’s a fake darn it. A guy I met once detecting in the water said “if you find a coin and a piece of junk jewelry it has been a successful hunt”. So by those standards it was a successful hunt, but not very satisfying. A lot of swingin in the cold water and not much to show for it. I’ve been luck lately so I can’t really complain.

View attachment 2028989

Since the water was not very productive I decided to wait until it warms up and more contributors hit the water before I do more water hunting. So I went back to camp to try another area.

I spent 6 hours going over the old handicraft area and doing a wander around looking for more promising areas. Handicraft didn’t have a lot to offer but all together I did manage to find 97 coins with a face value of $7.83, 28 camp tent pegs, a trunk handle and half a hinge, a cable eye, a pair of needle nose vise grip pliers, a small aluminum ingot, a dead wrist watch, a pirate ring, 2 rope tensioners, 2 sinkers, a pair of padlock keys, a fake cob coin, 3 leatherwork stamps and a few tabs and assorted junk.

View attachment 2028995

View attachment 2028990

I have found a decent number of the leatherwork stamps. They use 2 different sizes of handle that fits in the back of the stamp depending on the size of the stamp and it is struck with a mallet to stamp the damp leather. Here are a few I have found this winter and will turn over to the camp next week as they prepare to open for the summer.

View attachment 2028994

I have found several of the aluminum ingots over the years. They are different shapes as you can see. I believe they are part of the requirements for the metalwork merit badge.

View attachment 2028993

Not my best hunt at camp but a respectable days finds, decent money and a nice variety of miscellaneous extras.

So ends another week of swingin. Some civil war lead, a little silver, 7 rings, good clad and a nice variety of other things. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. View attachment 2028995
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2028977

View attachment 2028979

View attachment 2028978

View attachment 2028985

View attachment 2028984

View attachment 2028980

View attachment 2028982

View attachment 2028981

View attachment 2028983

View attachment 2028986

View attachment 2028987

View attachment 2028989

View attachment 2028995

View attachment 2028990

View attachment 2028994

View attachment 2028993

So ends another week of swingin. Some civil war lead, a little silver, 7 rings, good clad and a nice variety of other things. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. View attachment 2028995
You recovered a myriad of nice targets but I have to say the Williams Cleaner is my favorite. Smashing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread