Civil war Cannon Ball?

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Long story short, I had a few hours this morning to detect Downtown Charleston before they poured their new concrete driveway. I dug a few copper coins or flat buttons, they are totally encrusted. Then I found something silver that was in the shape of a heart, while I was retrieving it I could see a rounded edge that was iron in the side of that hole, I started to clear the dirt around it and I was pretty sure it was a cannon ball. Next I was worried if it had a fuse and could be dangerous. I could not see any fuses and it appeared to be solid. I slowly removed it, and I could tell by the weight it had to be solid. I have found many grape shots over the years but this thing is quite large. I put it on the scale and it looks to weigh around 12 - 14 lbs. Can anyone tell more for sure if it is indeed a civil war cannon ball and any other information would be awesome. Also what do I need to do to preserve it

Attachments

• IMG_4523.JPG
    IMG_4523.JPG
    1,013 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4524.JPG
    IMG_4524.JPG
    929.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4525.JPG
    IMG_4525.JPG
    684.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4526.JPG
    IMG_4526.JPG
    981.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4527.JPG
    IMG_4527.JPG
    929.4 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 13

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third and fifth pic look like it has a ridge around. If it has it's probably not a cannon ball. Fingers crossed i'm wrong.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short, I had a few hours this morning to detect Downtown Charleston before they poured their new concrete driveway. I dug a few copper coins or flat buttons, they are totally encrusted. Then I found something silver that was in the shape of a heart, while I was retrieving it I could see a rounded edge that was iron in the side of that hole, I started to clear the dirt around it and I was pretty sure it was a cannon ball. Next I was worried if it had a fuse and could be dangerous. I could not see any fuses and it appeared to be solid. I slowly removed it, and I could tell by the weight it had to be solid. I have found many grape shots over the years but this thing is quite large. I put it on the scale and it looks to weigh around 12 - 14 lbs. Can anyone tell more for sure if it is indeed a civil war cannon ball and any other information would be awesome. Also what do I need to do to preserve it
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third and fifth pic look like it has a ridge around. If it has it's probably not a cannon ball. Fingers crossed i'm wrong.
Rev war cannonballs had seams, and I think some confederate balls may have too. Charleston was also a hot spot in colonial times.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking even slid shot will have a seam around it. I would soak in apple cider vinegar or use electrolysis to clean it up then wax it. Good luck.
Hopefully it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread