diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this button a few days ago and posted on Today's Finds. I have since got some better pics. It is my understanding these were used for fastening the chin strap to head gear worn in the Civil War. The front depicts the Pennsylvania State Seal. The back-mark reads "Superior Quality". I'm looking for any help in positively identifying it, who the manufacturer might be and possibly dating it within the CW era.

Thanks for looking.
DD

Attachments

• CW PA Seal 1.jpg
    CW PA Seal 1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 54
  • CW PA Seal 2.jpg
    CW PA Seal 2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 50
  • CW PA Seal 3.jpg
    CW PA Seal 3.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 44
  • CW PA Seal Dug 1.jpg
    CW PA Seal Dug 1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 44
  • CW PA Seal Dug 2.jpg
    CW PA Seal Dug 2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 6

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I can figure out the "Superior Quality" backmark was used by Steele and Johnson. It is harder to date a Kepi button by its backmark because they can be different from a larger coat button. My opinion is that this button probably dates to the early to mid 1860s.
But, I have been wrong more than right lately so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
diamonddave

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I can figure out the "Superior Quality" backmark was used by Steele and Johnson. It is harder to date a Kepi button by its backmark because they can be different from a larger coat button. My opinion is that this button probably dates to the early to mid 1860s.
But, I have been wrong more than right lately so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Thanks so much for the response. I was not familiar with the "Kepi" term used for these caps. You have opened another path for web searching the subject. I have read that the earlier chin strap buttons did use the wires for attachment and later the buttons were sewn on. Either way I am pleased to have saved some CW era history.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Never seen a chin strap on any kepis, in our parts they are referred to as Cape/Poncho pins, I recovered the General Service Eagle type. While back a couple guys dug a couple hundred in a 25' square area and the consensus was possible loss of a Sutlers wagon.

Attachments

• civil-war-shelter-half-cape-poncho_1_9993db524d139e6e883b1384d79aa612.jpg
    civil-war-shelter-half-cape-poncho_1_9993db524d139e6e883b1384d79aa612.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 42

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a chin strap on any kepis, in our parts they are referred to as Cape/Poncho pins, I recovered the General Service Eagle type. While back a couple guys dug a couple hundred in a 25' square area and the consensus was possible loss of a Sutlers wagon.
Not really a chin strap, hat band would be a better definition. Anyway, there are two buttons on either side of a kepi and a band connects them. That is the button I was talking about.

OP
OP
diamonddave

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave. I'll bet those guys had a blast finding all of those buttons. Here is a link to some good reading on the subject:

The wires on mine are a bit different from your cape/poncho pins but it could very well have been used for that purpose. I believe the type I have dug is discussed on Page 5 in the linked document.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes since.

The "Couple " types of buttons with similar attachments turned out tho be late 1800's or early 1900's but ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread