Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up these two Civil War daguerreotypes yesterday at an estate sale. They were just thrown in with a box of junk picture frames. They are in some really nice thermoplastic cases. I decided to trace the family history back seeing if i could come up with anything and I found out who they were which is pretty neat. The solider boy is one Noah Wagner B: 1844 in Shouns, Tn and fought for the Tennessee Union cause. The Officer is Lafayette Jones B: 1830, who was a Captain for Union Tennessee 9th Cavalry which lines up due to the 9 and crossed swords on his hat. After further inspection of the Captains photo, I noticed his officer belt buckle is upside down. Has anyone ever seen this? Was this his way of showing southern support? I don't think he just carelessly put his buckle upside down. If anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 17
OP
OP
luke_00

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrown in a box of junk frames.....guess you didn't pay a lot. These are extremly collectable and worth a couple hundred bucks if you ask me. Having provenance, probably more:thumbsup:
Yeah. Never know what you are gonna find. That's why it pays to look through everything. :icon_thumright:
:icon_thumright:

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, I'm jealous, these would be great in my collection. Nice score, those are worth a pretty penny. Civil war dags go for anywhere from $200-$400 each depending on content. If they're Confederate soldiers, you can pretty much double that.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up these two Civil War daguerreotypes yesterday at an estate sale. They were just thrown in with a box of junk picture frames. They are in some really nice thermoplastic cases. I decided to trace the family history back seeing if i could come up with anything and I found out who they were which is pretty neat. The solider boy is one Noah Wagner B: 1844 in Shouns, Tn and fought for the Tennessee Union cause. The Officer is Lafayette Jones B: 1830, who was a Captain for Union Tennessee 9th Cavalry which lines up due to the 9 and crossed swords on his hat. After further inspection of the Captains photo, I noticed his officer belt buckle is upside down. Has anyone ever seen this? Was this his way of showing southern support? I don't think he just carelessly put his buckle upside down. If anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.
Super Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find! Wouldn't that also mean he had to put the belt on the opposite direction? That would be awkward, like buttoning up a woman's shirt. I don't wear women's clothes but just conjecture. Maybe you'll hear of more examples of that happening here on Tnet. The belt that is.:laughing7:

Salty

Dec 23, 2015
Coastal South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap what an awesome find! Great observation on the buckle. Cool history look up!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrown in a box of junk frames.....guess you didn't pay a lot. These are extremly collectable and worth a couple hundred bucks if you ask me. Having provenance, probably more:thumbsup:
I had some on not as good condition as yours. Didn't really want to sell them but threw them on my table anyway with ridiculously stupid high prices & they sold right off. So if you decide to sell them hold out & don't get low balled someone will give you good money!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread