Civil war finds

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a few Civil War items recently, actually Memorial day. The items are a flattened eagle Button, a 58 caliber dropped bullet and a brass nail that went in the soldiers brogans the "hob nail" to preserve shoe leather. Not the greatest finds but they have a lot of meaning to me. Memorial Day was originally called "decoration" day to remember Civil war dead. Some soldier long ago fighting for the Union left these artifacts behind as a reminder of that tragedy. This was found near modern day Sheppardtown Wva, just across the river from Antietam. Likely persuing the retreating confederate army who were fighting rear guard actions on thier way to Winchester. I wonder if he survived that bloody conflict ? That is half the intrigue to me of civil war finds. Some anonymous soldier long ago parted with these objects and I a former soldier myself found them on a day to honor veterans. Forgive me if I get a bit melodramatic but I can't help it.

The other thing pictured I found is a migratory bird band, put on by fish and wildlife the numbers are still visible. Perhaps ol' Mr Fox had himself a duck dinner :laughing7:

Attachments

• CWStuff.jpg
    CWStuff.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 84
  • birdbd.jpg
    birdbd.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 53
Upvote 12

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a few Civil War items recently, actually Memorial day. The items are a flattened eagle Button, a 58 caliber dropped bullet and a brass nail that went in the soldiers brogans the "hob nail" to preserve shoe leather. Not the greatest finds but they have a lot of meaning to me. Memorial Day was originally called "decoration" day to remember Civil war dead. Some soldier long ago fighting for the Union left these artifacts behind as a reminder of that tragedy. This was found near modern day Sheppardtown Wva, just across the river from Antietam. Likely persuing the retreating confederate army who were fighting rear guard actions on thier way to Winchester. I wonder if he survived that bloody conflict ? That is half the intrigue to me of civil war finds. Some anonymous soldier long ago parted with these objects and I a former soldier myself found them on a day to honor veterans. Forgive me if I get a bit melodramatic but I can't help it.

The other thing pictured I found is a migratory bird band, put on by fish and wildlife the numbers are still visible. Perhaps ol' Mr Fox had himself a duck dinner :laughing7:
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Beautiful finds. Congratulations

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can retrieve the numbers off the band the F&W can give you all the info on that bird.Always interesting. very nice finds and I too wonder about the history behind the things we find. May you find many more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread