Civil war spur from the mud

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last few days around my area saw some heavy rains, I've had my eye on a construction site this past week and decided to give it a try late Last Sunday evening. I was seeing bits of broken pottery & glass so I knew there had to be something good. Five minutes into the dig I hit a big button heavily encrusted with dirt and crud which I knew was likely a Union staff officers tunic button. I found some modern junk pull tabs, beer caps a few modern pennies then run across a Period harmonica reed, More Junk, then WHAM !!, the Noka simplex sounds off with a big signal, I was surprised to see a bent cavalry spur pop out of the mud. The eagle button still needs some work cleaning there is a tremendous amount of encrustation and I won't try to unbend the twisted spur side, too much chance of it breaking off.
spur1 (2).jpg

Attachments

• spurM (2).jpg
    spurM (2).jpg
    298 KB · Views: 75
  • spurdug.jpg
    spurdug.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 21

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last few days around my area saw some heavy rains, I've had my eye on a construction site this past week and decided to give it a try late Last Sunday evening. I was seeing bits of broken pottery & glass so I knew there had to be something good. Five minutes into the dig I hit a big button heavily encrusted with dirt and crud which I knew was likely a Union staff officers tunic button. I found some modern junk pull tabs, beer caps a few modern pennies then run across a Period harmonica reed, More Junk, then WHAM !!, the Noka simplex sounds off with a big signal, I was surprised to see a bent cavalry spur pop out of the mud. The eagle button still needs some work cleaning there is a tremendous amount of encrustation and I won't try to unbend the twisted spur side, too much chance of it breaking off. View attachment 2046136
Awesome finds. Congratulations

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last few days around my area saw some heavy rains, I've had my eye on a construction site this past week and decided to give it a try late Last Sunday evening. I was seeing bits of broken pottery & glass so I knew there had to be something good. Five minutes into the dig I hit a big button heavily encrusted with dirt and crud which I knew was likely a Union staff officers tunic button. I found some modern junk pull tabs, beer caps a few modern pennies then run across a Period harmonica reed, More Junk, then WHAM !!, the Noka simplex sounds off with a big signal, I was surprised to see a bent cavalry spur pop out of the mud. The eagle button still needs some work cleaning there is a tremendous amount of encrustation and I won't try to unbend the twisted spur side, too much chance of it breaking off. View attachment 2046136
Very Cool!!! Congrats !!!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool save! Congrats:icon_thumleft:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Save of the Cavalry Spur. Well Done. Preserve it as is. Your right in not attempting to straighten it, and break it. It looks great as is. A nice piece of History.

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming your spur is a brass alloy, it COULD be straightened IF the metal is annealed first.
Brass works opposite of steel or iron in that if heated to a certain temperature and quenched in water, it will become soft rather than harder. Cartridge reloaders are familiar with annealing their brass cases so they stay pliable and not crack after extended use.
The only problem is, you will ruin the patina in the process and of course, there's always the risk of breakage anyway.
I'm just putting this out there for as a general FYI.
Great find BTW

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions