Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20191215_123857.jpg I found this sword yesterday and was hoping to confirm it being a U.S cavalry .
I found it on a rock outcrop overlooking the river on my property . it was only in the ground 2'' deep and overloaded my machine with an iron tone.
I took these pic with my phone as soon as I figured out what it was.
I 'm seeking advice on how to clean or preserve it.
keep in mind it is stuck in the scabbard and soaking may not work because it can't be rinsed properly I have it setting in the area of the woodstove in an effort to remove all the moisture.
dig those large iron signals guys , the next one may be something good.. DSCN2476.jpg 20191215_123549.jpg 20191215_122946.jpg DSCN2475.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 173

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I did not see anyone answer your question on what the KGC is/was. Stands for Knights of the Golden Circle. If anyone did post the answer, I apologize in advance. Some notable members of the KGC: Henry Plumber and almost all members of the Plumber Gang; Black Bart, probably others in my neck of the woods.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice!!!

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas to all . I just stopped in to show the progress made on the sword and scabbard conservation effort.
due to its size , different metal compositions and very little access to the insides of the scabbard this has proven to be a challenge.

I started with the scabbard and feel it is now stable and looks good for being 158 years old , spending most of that time in the woods waiting to be rescued.

it spent 18 hrs in an electrolysis bath , lots of rinsing and then dried by being hung by the woodstove chimney with care for a hour in each vertical position. to expel all moisture.

in order to seal inside and out I went with polyurethane . I poured some into the scabbard and let it soak in good then dumped and hung upside down for a few hours.
next I applied two coats to the exterior ,allowing to dry one day between coats.

so here it is . the sword is being cleaned now and I will post more when it's completed DSCN2479.jpg DSCN2480.jpg

Last edited:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merry Christmas!

The scabbard looks awesome, cleaned up better than I thought it would!!

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
merry Christmas to you too. it cleaned up nice but is not as sound as I thought at first and was a real bear to clean.

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Incredible find, unfortunately removing the sword from the scabbard will most likely destroy the scabbard. I think I would just wash it off, leave it as is and enjoy it, I think it looks great the way it is. Congratulations!
Yep what Fullstock wrote....
Great find, fantastic find!!

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the scabbard was not destroyed and turned out real nice , back up a page and take a look.

Pics of the Sword are coming very soon. I'm very pleased with the results on the Sword as well.
the lack of corrosion on it is nothing short of amazing so check back in for the updated pics coming soon.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you ....TICNDIG....

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of a case. I can not put it back in the scabbard for fear of removing the protective coating .

The Condition is remarkable . I attribute this to the sharp angle in which it laid keeping it dry all those years.
thanks for looking ..

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the idea of a case. I can not put it back in the scabbard for fear of removing the protective coating .

The Condition is remarkable . I attribute this to the sharp angle in which it laid keeping it dry all those years.
thanks for looking ..

I still can't get over how amazing it is that you found this piece on your own property! :occasion14:
You did an incredible restoration job on it too... I just had to post the before and after pics.

I also like your thoughts about having a display case specially made for your sword as well, this is definitely a once in a lifetime find! :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• DSCN2475.jpg
    DSCN2475.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2484.jpg
    DSCN2484.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2480.jpg
    DSCN2480.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I still can't get over how amazing it is that you found this piece on your own property! :occasion14:
You did an incredible restoration job on it too... I just had to post the before and after pics.

I also like your thoughts about having a display case specially made for your sword as well, this is definitely a once in a lifetime find! :thumbsup:
Dave

I was shocked to find on my property as well , but then again I would have been just as shocked to find it anywhere. I've been a civil war relic hunter for over 30 years and large targets are getting hard to come by here in Va .

now we're not talking a small subdivision lot when I say it was on my property as my place is over 40 acres in an area inhabited by man for hundreds of years on a high bluff on a major river. . I find way more arrow heads than I do civil war relics.

thanks for the compliments on my restoration efforts ,getting the thing apart and cleaning the scabbard was a real challenge. thanks again for stopping in to take a look.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was shocked to find on my property as well , but then again I would have been just as shocked to find it anywhere. I've been a civil war relic hunter for over 30 years and large targets are getting hard to come by here in Va .

now we're not talking a small subdivision lot when I say it was on my property as my place is over 40 acres in an area inhabited by man for hundreds of years on a high bluff on a major river. . I find way more arrow heads than I do civil war relics.

thanks for the compliments on my restoration efforts ,getting the thing apart and cleaning the scabbard was a real challenge. thanks again for stopping in to take a look.

In reference to your statement... "when I say it was on my property as my place is over 40 acres in an area inhabited by man for hundreds of years on a high bluff on a major river." As relic hunters/detectorists we often find ourselves in areas that 'the average person' would almost never walk, this is likely the reason why you even found this piece. I tend to investigate areas in forests or in the fields I'm detecting where I feel there may have been activity, you never know what you might miss if you don't at least take a look. :thumbsup:

Congrats again on your efforts ticndig,
Dave

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks again for the nice comments, yes it was found where most others won't walk , the bluff where it was found is near vertical and about 80' high with some boulders as big as a car.
it's a real pain in the ankles to walk along and a real heart pumper to climb . a few weeks before the find I slipped in wet leaves and fell hard and fast.
I wasn't hurt so just got up and kept going . well I'm of to go detecting, retirement sure is tough ...

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks again for the nice comments, yes it was found where most others won't walk , the bluff where it was found is near vertical and about 80' high with some boulders as big as a car.
it's a real pain in the ankles to walk along and a real heart pumper to climb . a few weeks before the find I slipped in wet leaves and fell hard and fast.
I wasn't hurt so just got up and kept going . well I'm of to go detecting, retirement sure is tough ...

Sure wish I lived in your area my friend.
I'm holding out hope the ground hasn't refrozen in the last three days, as I'd like to get out for a few hours this afternoon. But with temps at 28F right now it's kinda hard to leave my warm computer. :laughing7:

Best of luck to you today,
Dave

OP
OP
ticndig

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been digging for 30 years and have never had to stop from frozen ground . lawns freeze but never the woods.
it's 55 here now , was 72 just a few days ago and 68 tomorrow. real winter will come before too long though .

I see lots of post " last hunt of the season" my season is just getting started ,I roam the woods more after deer season end on Jan-4th. not much found today , its very slow going at a new house site as the trash is very thick..

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been digging for 30 years and have never had to stop from frozen ground . lawns freeze but never the woods.
it's 55 here now , was 72 just a few days ago and 68 tomorrow. real winter will come before too long though .

I see lots of post " last hunt of the season" my season is just getting started ,I roam the woods more after deer season end on Jan-4th. not much found today , its very slow going at a new house site as the trash is very thick..

Yes, our weather window for 'comfortable detecting' here in Ontario is literally only May until the end of October. If we happen to be able to get out in November then that's a bonus. Today it got up to 5C or 41F, now that's downright balmy for the beginning of January... what's this 'global warming' stuff everyone keeps talking about. :laughing7: The weather forecast was for 2 - 3" of snow tomorrow, but it's now been pushed forward until Saturday here. I think tomorrow will likely be the last chance I get for this year. I currently have a half dozen farm field permissions, now which one to choose... probably this one. :thumbsup:

Anyway, best of luck to you,
Dave

Attachments

• 20191222_150504.jpg
    20191222_150504.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 89

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread