Civil War - Tithing Depot aka Supply Depot

LaTxHunter

Aug 21, 2011
I was wondering if anyone had ever detected a supply depot or tithing depot from the Civil War?

I've seen a few of them on old maps and understand it is where tobacco, corn, etc. was stored (usually along roadways) for Confederate troops but I've never heard of anyone hunting that type of site or what was found. I understand there could be temporary camps around the depot but what I'm more interested in is what can be expected, as far as military relics, just from the depot itself.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted this area for many years and found a wide assortment of union relics .
this area also had a huge dug in camp .
Stoneman%E2%80%99s-Switch-395x300.jpg
[h=4]STONEMAN’S STATION[/h]Stoneman’s Railroad Station, was located below today’s Conway Elementary School site. According to Noel Harrison, National Park Service historian, Stoneman’s Station was a “flag stop” on the U.S.M.R.R. (R.F.&P.). It received its name in November of 1862 when it was established to supply the nearby camps of Union General George Stoneman’s III Corps. About half a year later, it became a complex with two canvas-roofed platforms, two sidings, two sheds, a railroad car converted into an office, a bakery, and an assortment of tents. This depot was an important Union supply base during the Fredericksburg Campaign and afterwards. During Lincoln’s April 1863 visit, he visited troops in hospital tents located at the station.

OP
OP
L

LaTxHunter

Aug 21, 2011
Thanks. It's interesting to see that. The ones I am interested in are located on back roads, usually on a farm, and nowhere near a railroad but that picture explains why there were a lot of them since they really had no general place from which to ship the items.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently obtained info on one right in the area I grew up!!! this was a Rev War depot! Can't wait to see if I can get permission!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread