Civil war what a travesty and needless deaths

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks it’s not a lesson learned, heck it’s rarely discussed and young people should never forget, heck how can they forget when they have no idea, truth be told, the stinking think tanks should be ashamed this isn’t mandatory why because it’s our distant relatives dead bones scattered and never recovered. So dam sad it bothers me, we simply should do whatever means necessary to teach this , say in a monthly meeting. these Lives matter, never got honorable burial just rotted away, dam disgusting. Well what we think we no is a small fraction and I’m certainly a person that believed half of what I read. far western Pennsylvania had very little activity I think, I mean the war of 1812 has early settlers residing along the rivers even around here farm the land. There are many relics in the ground corrosion away. I wish I could sit down with a person and interview that’s would be my bucket lister that will never happen, any YouTube channel that gives honest and accurate description on such. Boy I just can’t imagine killing your own brothers, nothing compared to that even today. Sadly America has failed miserably and my visits to cemetery remind me of the waste of lives. To understand today you must understand yesterday, 200 years ago isn’t to many generations folks.

Upvote 9

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree and so appreciate history & the lessons learned from it. My hubby & I have been traveling our great country in our RV since 2018. I got a Metal Detector in Arizona this year and have learned so much from these forums. We loved Gettysburg and recommend taking a guided tour which we didn't have the time to do. What was so special to us is how the entire town buried the Union & Confederate soldiers in groups and where they died. The unknown were buried together in a special place and each had a marker. The entire town spent months/years cleaning up the grounds and made it a living museum. We plan to go back and spend a full 3-4 days to see it all with a guide. We have also taken the time to learn the history of all of our places visited as well across the country. We are very grateful for the past sacrifices our forefathers/mothers of all creeds/races/colors/etc have made to ensure our personal freedoms we have today. Boston was another amazing city too.
I enjoyed reading your reply and that history is important. Most here appreciate history I think. My wife wants to do the RV thing like you are. I have no desire to drive long distances as I commuted daily 75 + miles each way to work and hate driving. We'll come up with a compromise.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed reading your reply and that history is important. Most here appreciate history I think. My wife wants to do the RV thing like you are. I have no desire to drive long distances as I commuted daily 75 + miles each way to work and hate driving. We'll come up with a compromise.
I can relate to all the driving.

I was working on the road for 16 years for General Telephone (GTE), traveling all over the country installing Telephone central offices. Once I got married I would base the wife in one town and drive back and forth to different jobs.

Example living in Lincoln Ne and working in Mankato Mn I was commuting 350 miles each way each weekend for 9 months, then I moved my wife to Columbia Mo for a job and bought a home there, I then commuted to Chicago Il, 400 miles each way, 800 miles a week for 2 years, then Columbia Mo to Karney, Ne 450 miles each way, 900 miles a week for 6 months, then Columbia Mo to Lincoln Nebraska for a year 325 miles each way.

I went to work for a different phone company for 15 years, still lived in Columbia Mo and worked in St Louis, 90 miles, for 3 years drove up Monday mornings, back Wed night, then back to St Louis on Thursday and back Friday night, 360 miles a week on average. After 3 years company transferred me to Columbia, Mo, home for me, but my job involved patrolling a fiber optic route so drove on average 125 miles a day, 5 days a week, 600 miles in a company truck for 12 years.

After years went to work for a phone company in Orlando Fl installing cisco routers for businesses for their Telcom and internet services, I worked all over central Florida from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic coast, averaging about 600 miles driving a week. After 46 years of Telcom I retired from Telcom.

Besides the driving for work I easily have 24 round trips to Florida from the midwest (Nebraska/Minnesota/Missouri) over 30 years visiting family, 7 trips to Yellowstone, two trips to California, and multiple camping trips to different areas of the west for another 100,000 miles of vacation driving. I easily have driven close to a million miles in my lifetime.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can relate to all the driving.

I was working on the road for 16 years for General Telephone (GTE), traveling all over the country installing Telephone central offices. Once I got married I would base the wife in one town and drive back and forth to different jobs.

Example living in Lincoln Ne and working in Mankato Mn I was commuting 350 miles each way each weekend for 9 months, then I moved my wife to Columbia Mo for a job and bought a home there, I then commuted to Chicago Il, 400 miles each way, 800 miles a week for 2 years, then Columbia Mo to Karney, Ne 450 miles each way, 900 miles a week for 6 months, then Columbia Mo to Lincoln Nebraska for a year 325 miles each way.

I went to work for a different phone company for 15 years, still lived in Columbia Mo and worked in St Louis, 90 miles, for 3 years drove up Monday mornings, back Wed night, then back to St Louis on Thursday and back Friday night, 360 miles a week on average. After 3 years company transferred me to Columbia, Mo, home for me, but my job involved patrolling a fiber optic route so drove on average 125 miles a day, 5 days a week, 600 miles in a company truck for 12 years.

After years went to work for a phone company in Orlando Fl installing cisco routers for businesses for their Telcom and internet services, I worked all over central Florida from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic coast, averaging about 600 miles driving a week. After 46 years of Telcom I retired from Telcom.

Besides the driving for work I easily have 24 round trips to Florida from the midwest (Nebraska/Minnesota/Missouri) over 30 years visiting family, 7 trips to Yellowstone, two trips to California, and multiple camping trips to different areas of the west for another 100,000 miles of vacation driving. I easily have driven close to a million miles in my lifetime.
Wow, I thought I had it rough. When I'm over 2hrs I stay in a hotel Mon-Thurs. We work 9 HR days & leave early on Fri. I live on the east coast of Florida but work in Orlando most days. Orlando is not my kind of town. I actually hate it. I do a lot of work in Sarasota which I enjoy except for the hotel thing. I've collected a lot of artifacts in the Gainesville & Pasco County area in years past so that was a plus.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the Civil war, Poor people have always been manipulated by the wealthy who control the media. They had nothing to gain fighting to try to keep the wealth, wealthy. If the South had won, they would still be kept dirt poor.
To be honest, when I was younger it was the same deal with Vietnam, and I was no smarter than the poor of the South. We had to stop Communist aggression, (They called it reunification). Over 50,000 young men died, for what? When we left in 1975, the world kept spinning. You can go there today for a nice vacation. Beware of the military complex. they make money at the expense of the lives of the poor. With no draft, the wealthy don't even need to hire quack doctors to keep their kids safe.

I wonder if they use metal detectors in Vietnam to find the bullets that went flying then.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree and so appreciate history & the lessons learned from it. My hubby & I have been traveling our great country in our RV since 2018. I got a Metal Detector in Arizona this year and have learned so much from these forums. We loved Gettysburg and recommend taking a guided tour which we didn't have the time to do. What was so special to us is how the entire town buried the Union & Confederate soldiers in groups and where they died. The unknown were buried together in a special place and each had a marker. The entire town spent months/years cleaning up the grounds and made it a living museum. We plan to go back and spend a full 3-4 days to see it all with a guide. We have also taken the time to learn the history of all of our places visited as well across the country. We are very grateful for the past sacrifices our forefathers/mothers of all creeds/races/colors/etc have made to ensure our personal freedoms we have today. Boston was another amazing city too.
51Code3, Gettysburg is a must see battlefield park and town for All Civil War buffs. My brother and I visited the park back in 2012. It's hard to fathom what took place here for 3 days back in 01 July - 03 July in 1863. Traveling in different areas within the park such as Devils Den, Little Round Top, Culps

Hill, and other places where the fighting was intense, one gets a save of sadness and grief pour over them as you stand there overlooking the various ground where many died and were severely wounded. This happened to me more than once as I stood in the silence overlooking the terrain. Most of the Confederate dead were later removed from Gettysburg and sent to be required in cemeteries throughout the South. Many were reburied in Hollywood Cemetery in Virginia. Because Gettysburg was to become a National Park, the Southern Dead were not welcome. Sad, but true. My Great Great Grandfathers regiment was assigned atop of Oak Hill which is located directly behind the Peace Monument. He was in the 44th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Co. D.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On the Civil war, Poor people have always been manipulated by the wealthy who control the media. They had nothing to gain fighting to try to keep the wealth, wealthy. If the South had won, they would still be kept dirt poor.
To be honest, when I was younger it was the same deal with Vietnam, and I was no smarter than the poor of the South. We had to stop Communist aggression, (They called it reunification). Over 50,000 young men died, for what? When we left in 1975, the world kept spinning. You can go there today for a nice vacation. Beware of the military complex. they make money at the expense of the lives of the poor. With no draft, the wealthy don't even need to hire quack doctors to keep their kids safe.

I wonder if they use metal detectors in Vietnam to find the bullets that went flying then.
The American Civil War was as All wars have been or will ever be.......The Rich Man's War and the Poor Man's Fight.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Great, Great Grandfathers on my mother's side were part of Florida's 1st infantry, the 3rd confederate infantry was so decimated it was rolled into the 1st infantry and became the 1st and 3rd consolidated Florida Infantry regiment.

Battles.....

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ol' Kentuck, thanks for posting this. What a thought provoking tune this is. God Bless those Americans All who have their last full measure in that horrible war. Some wore blue and some wore grey. Americans All. That was the tragedy of this war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread