Clad & fishing gear week becomes super week with my first civil war belt plate (ID help needed)

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the park dry swimming areas to finish up and expand my search further out into the dry lake bed. I found a little jewelry in the swimming area and lots of fishing gear (mostly sinkers) in the lake bed.

In 5 hours of swingin the ATPro I found 70 coins with a face value of $4.36, a toy motorcycle, a brass screw marked COVER LOCK, a solid aluminum cap or plug, a 23 pendant, a cheapie ring, a nose bad from a pair of glasses, a brass cat, a pile of sinkers, some pieces of cheap jewelry, a watch without a case, 2 shell casings and a live round, some fishing gear, some whole cans, foil and tabs.

817CBF9E-5991-45DC-BE63-17A2FA3C3017.jpeg

This looks like it is some kind of fishing gear, but I’m not sure what exactly. It has a large swivel attached, a chromed brass disk and a large chunk of lead.

E266A86E-407A-41D8-A02D-DE6DD9F97AB4.jpeg

DAY 2
I went to a town park and detected around the outside of a baseball field where the spectators sit to watch the games. I did a quick survey hunt to see if it was worth a grid search. In 4.5 hours with the CZ21 I found 83 coins with a face value of $6.28, an older style kiddie ring, the hood to a toy car, an old cheap pocket watch, a broken older type faucet handle, some can slaw and tabs.

A9C6F369-E9F7-4E52-8AFE-547EC6B5C1B4.jpeg

Nothing great, but some older items that could mean goodies are around. It might be worth checking more carefully in the future.

The ring is not great or that fancy, but the style looks older. Probably the 1950s or 60s. It is pretty crusty so it has been there a while.

D257852C-049E-44F1-8C66-5DCC88FB4FF0.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to the civil war bullet school. This time of year my weekends get busy and so getting to the school has been hard and I can only detect when school is closed. It has been 3 weeks since I was here last. It was 25 degrees when I got there, but it warmed up an I managed to swing the CZ21 for 4.5 hours.

All together I found 71 coins with a face value of $3.41, a belt buckle, a set of AirPods, a crucifix, a Canadian penny, part of a pocket watch, a brass harness ring, part of a toy car, the brass handle of a multi piece screwdriver, joined beaver tail tabs (kids used to make decorative belts and bracelets from them), the dial from a school combination lock, some can slaw and tabs.

C415C167-0502-4131-86B1-FC4EA6A2F765.jpeg

The crucifix is not in great shape. It has a metal frame containing special wood that has deteriorated. From the design of the chain and bead it looks like it might be part of a rosary.

727EF7D4-1949-4620-A24B-65EB30B4529B.jpeg

The star of the show, something I have been hoping to find for my whole 20 years and 7 months of detecting, a civil war belt buckle. I was a good signal, but when I put the shovel in the ground to cut the plug I hit a rock. It was down deep between 2 large rocks and the hole between the rocks was narrow so the Garrett carrot didn’t tell me if it was left, right or deeper. I must have hit it with my trowel and the soil has not been kind to it. (Why do the good ones have to be in the rocks and under roots where they are hard to get without damage?). I was shocked when it popped out of the hole. I was sure it was another aluminum can or large piece of aluminum construction material scrap that I find here so often. I almost didn’t keep going after I hit the rocks, I’m glad I did.

C87B90F0-04CE-417E-B024-F0E7D780399E.jpeg

0A5AD3C5-2F93-427A-96C0-AA7708D4830D.jpeg

From what I can see on line it is an officers sword belt buckle. This one looks like one that had a single piece wreath attached. From the looks of the buckle the wreath has been missing for a long time. There is some rust from a nail that was up against it in the ground. I was thrilled to see it come out of the ground and than sick when I saw it had been hit. It has a production number of 504 which was to identify the keeper that matched this buckle. Finding the keeper and the wreath are not likely as this ground has been well moved around during construction of the school and athletic fields, so goodies can be 1 inch down or 3 feet down, it’s all mixed up.

3EA97E71-1220-41EB-B267-7D9580A8ECAE.jpeg

The school will get it along with the other civil war relics I am finding here. I would like to make it more display worthy and couple use some advice on the best way to clean it up without doing further damage.

I found one like it pictured on line that I believe is a match, but no details about exactly what this one is or when it was made. I know some of them were listed as the 1851 style buckle. If anyone who knows more about these and can give me additional info it would be greatly appreciated.

28598500-C236-457A-84D9-EB0FE2BBFEF5.jpeg

Coinstar has been empty lately, but I did find a penny and a nickel at the mall and I got 2 quarters out of vending machine coin returns so a little treasure at least.

Family obligations and a broken furnace kept me home more than I wanted this week. Tis the season to be busy, so not as much detecting, but at least I did get out. And I found a something I have been dreaming of for over 20 years. What started as a fair week with mostly clad turned into a real winner. You never know when the good ones will turn up. You can work a site and find only piles of modern junk and clad and just when you think there is nothing more worth looking for, BAM, out pops a beauty.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. May your next one be a good one.

Attachments

• 9317DA68-B8CE-4913-BD5A-35EF0AECEC86.jpeg
    9317DA68-B8CE-4913-BD5A-35EF0AECEC86.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 6B0E4315-4756-4F97-8E65-23C46D42B1C8.jpeg
    6B0E4315-4756-4F97-8E65-23C46D42B1C8.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 39A07840-EADD-4120-917F-BDAA12DD5352.jpeg
    39A07840-EADD-4120-917F-BDAA12DD5352.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Upvote 22

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the park dry swimming areas to finish up and expand my search further out into the dry lake bed. I found a little jewelry in the swimming area and lots of fishing gear (mostly sinkers) in the lake bed.

In 5 hours of swingin the ATPro I found 70 coins with a face value of $4.36, a toy motorcycle, a brass screw marked COVER LOCK, a solid aluminum cap or plug, a 23 pendant, a cheapie ring, a nose bad from a pair of glasses, a brass cat, a pile of sinkers, some pieces of cheap jewelry, a watch without a case, 2 shell casings and a live round, some fishing gear, some whole cans, foil and tabs.

View attachment 2058397

This looks like it is some kind of fishing gear, but I’m not sure what exactly. It has a large swivel attached, a chromed brass disk and a large chunk of lead.

View attachment 2058399

DAY 2
I went to a town park and detected around the outside of a baseball field where the spectators sit to watch the games. I did a quick survey hunt to see if it was worth a grid search. In 4.5 hours with the CZ21 I found 83 coins with a face value of $6.28, an older style kiddie ring, the hood to a toy car, an old cheap pocket watch, a broken older type faucet handle, some can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2058400

Nothing great, but some older items that could mean goodies are around. It might be worth checking more carefully in the future.

The ring is not great or that fancy, but the style looks older. Probably the 1950s or 60s. It is pretty crusty so it has been there a while.

View attachment 2058401

DAY 3
I went back to the civil war bullet school. This time of year my weekends get busy and so getting to the school has been hard and I can only detect when school is closed. It has been 3 weeks since I was here last. It was 25 degrees when I got there, but it warmed up an I managed to swing the CZ21 for 4.5 hours.

All together I found 71 coins with a face value of $3.41, a belt buckle, a set of AirPods, a crucifix, a Canadian penny, part of a pocket watch, a brass harness ring, part of a toy car, the brass handle of a multi piece screwdriver, joined beaver tail tabs (kids used to make decorative belts and bracelets from them), the dial from a school combination lock, some can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2058402

The crucifix is not in great shape. It has a metal frame containing special wood that has deteriorated. From the design of the chain and bead it looks like it might be part of a rosary.

View attachment 2058404

The star of the show, something I have been hoping to find for my whole 20 years and 7 months of detecting, a civil war belt buckle. I was a good signal, but when I put the shovel in the ground to cut the plug I hit a rock. It was down deep between 2 large rocks and the hole between the rocks was narrow so the Garrett carrot didn’t tell me if it was left, right or deeper. I must have hit it with my trowel and the soil has not been kind to it. (Why do the good ones have to be in the rocks and under roots where they are hard to get without damage?). I was shocked when it popped out of the hole. I was sure it was another aluminum can or large piece of aluminum construction material scrap that I find here so often. I almost didn’t keep going after I hit the rocks, I’m glad I did.

View attachment 2058396

View attachment 2058405

From what I can see on line it is an officers sword belt buckle. This one looks like one that had a single piece wreath attached. From the looks of the buckle the wreath has been missing for a long time. There is some rust from a nail that was up against it in the ground. I was thrilled to see it come out of the ground and than sick when I saw it had been hit. It has a production number of 504 which was to identify the keeper that matched this buckle. Finding the keeper and the wreath are not likely as this ground has been well moved around during construction of the school and athletic fields, so goodies can be 1 inch down or 3 feet down, it’s all mixed up.

View attachment 2058408

The school will get it along with the other civil war relics I am finding here. I would like to make it more display worthy and couple use some advice on the best way to clean it up without doing further damage.

I found one like it pictured on line that I believe is a match, but no details about exactly what this one is or when it was made. I know some of them were listed as the 1851 style buckle. If anyone who knows more about these and can give me additional info it would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 2058407

Coinstar has been empty lately, but I did find a penny and a nickel at the mall and I got 2 quarters out of vending machine coin returns so a little treasure at least.

Family obligations and a broken furnace kept me home more than I wanted this week. Tis the season to be busy, so not as much detecting, but at least I did get out. And I found a something I have been dreaming of for over 20 years. What started as a fair week with mostly clad turned into a real winner. You never know when the good ones will turn up. You can work a site and find only piles of modern junk and clad and just when you think there is nothing more worth looking for, BAM, out pops a beauty.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things. May your next one be a good one.
Very Nice !!!!!! Congrats!!!!!! Sword Belt Plates are Super Cool!!!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2058397

View attachment 2058399

DAY 2

View attachment 2058400

View attachment 2058401

DAY 3

View attachment 2058402

View attachment 2058404

View attachment 2058396

View attachment 2058405

View attachment 2058408

View attachment 2058407

very cool yours is the real deal, got one similiar but mine is the thin foil 1890s variety...kinda jelly there :)

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome plate , it can be made better / fixed up . but a ll in all a super find esp after 20 years.
Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t thought about getting it fixed up. I will see if I can get my jeweler friend to straighten it. He has better tools for that than I do and I don’t want to mess it up any more than I already have.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That plate is a fantastic find indeed, congrats!
I found a set of airpods in a park last year and use them almost daily to watch vids on the computer and not annoy the wife.
That is for the reply. I charged up the AirPods and they work fine. Not as nice as a belt plate, but I’ll take ‘em. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plate is a great find! The fishing gear piece I think is from a wooden lure with the wood missing(I think they call em crank baits now?). the part that remains is the "lip" that creates movement when pulled through the water.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That plate is a fantastic find indeed, congrats!
I found a set of airpods in a park last year and use them almost daily to watch vids on the computer and not annoy the wife.
Such a great fringe benefit of the hobby, especially park hunting you get so much free gear

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Model 1851 sword belt plate most likely lost by a cavalryman.
Killer find, congrats :occasion14:
The plate is a great find! The fishing gear piece I think is from a wooden lure with the wood missing(I think they call em crank baits now?). the part that remains is the "lip" that creates movement when pulled through the water.
Thank you both for the info on the plate and the fishing gear. As always folks here are very helpful and knowledgeable.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used to camp deep creek lake a boy, think of the treasures in those depths!
I have a friend with a place on the lake and in the winter when the water level goes down (and the ground isn’t frozen which isn’t too often) I detect along the shore in the lake bed. So far mostly clad, but I have found a few silver dimes. The rocky bottom makes swingin a little difficult at time but fun anyway.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a friend with a place on the lake and in the winter when the water level goes down (and the ground isn’t frozen which isn’t too often) I detect along the shore in the lake bed. So far mostly clad, but I have found a few silver dimes. The rocky bottom makes swingin a little difficult at time but fun anyway.

back atya thanks for the nostalgia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread