Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past week I was able to get out 3 times and detect on campus. The weather has been a real pain and detecting conditions have been rough. Wind, snow and ice made for frozen fingers when i could get out and snow and ice made it impossible to detect Monday through Thursday.

Sunday i was able to get out for a few hours before the snow and ice and i found 46 coins with a dollar value of $5.64, along with a hot wheels Ferrari and a cool looking earring. As always i found the usual pile of trash, tabs, can slaw, foil, aluminum bottle caps etc.

46A1A5D1-8607-44A8-B100-4DA03B7A1BAC.jpeg

When the ground was mostly bare and digable i got back out on Friday and in 3.5 hours i found 107 coins, face value $7.21, a pair of padlock keys, an electrical connector of some sort, and part of an old umbrella slider. Two of the zinc Lincolns are so badly eaten you could almost call them half pennies 😆. What you can call them is unspendable or worthless as no one will take them.

E8496FCE-8D24-4464-A13A-CBB85F146EA5.jpeg FE511786-0B02-4F5A-BF0B-CA82BD82B4F1.jpeg 4271E94F-0367-4BBE-BE2E-603F1D23B314.jpeg

Today things got more interesting. The first 2 days i was just doing the walk around and swing method of detecting. Today the ground was clear of snow and ice and I could see the markers i had left so i could resume my gridding of the campus. (My markers are small plastic caps that most people don’t notice. I also have a map of campus I mark so I can keep track of what areas I have completed.) I worked on the grid for about 2 hours finding coins and the usual junk when I got a nice high tone i though was a coin. I turned out to be a silver Hummingbird pendant with a thin silver box chain. The chain is broken, but that is an easy fix. About 15 minutes later I got another nice high tone. In the plug was a small thin silver disk with no details visible with the dirt on it. I knew it had to be a goodie so i put it in the goodie box with the chain and pendant and kept going. (It is a half reale) I had wandered over this area 7 or 8 times over the past few months digging all the high tones, but gridding still yielded $2.00 in change and two nice silvers. So It pays to go slow and cover every inch of ground.

I came to a good stopping point for the grid and went a wandering. Toward the end of my time, 5.5 hours, to detect i found a cool silver ring and about 3 feet away a rectangular piece of silver that shows signs of having been soldered to something. It is slightly irregular and i am thinking it may have been used as some sort of electrical joint. It really does not look like it was part of a piece of jewelry. It is definitely silver. Ideas on this one would be welcome.

All in all today i found 85 coins with a face value of $6.72, a piece of harness hardware, a D that looks like it came off a car name, a skull from an earring, the sliver plate, the silver ring, a 2005 chuckle cheese token, a 1957D wheatie, the half reale, a bent up adjustable aluminum kiddy ring, a plated pendant with the initials VAK on the front and on the back TAMA ‘73 made by LaMode, and the pendant and chain.

EE1AB6C1-45CA-4E59-84CE-F76F6E0BD56C.jpeg A60BA565-3F96-42C2-B9DC-F2A9E737704D.jpeg

The silver plate front and back.

DE1904BF-64B1-44E2-A488-160DAD9C00D8.jpeg 4FC7BF0C-E3EE-47E9-B5A4-F408A49A18F2.jpeg

The half reale has just enough detail to know it is a Carlos III or IIII so it was made from 1772-1808. It is in really bad shape, even worse than the 1891 seated love token i found here. It is only the 3rd half reale i have found in 17 years and only the 6th Spanish silver so I’m happy even if it is in terrible shape. At least i can tell what it is.

B174F48F-6DC1-48FB-9594-2882C2A01047.jpeg

The hunt reminded me that no matter how often you wander around an area detecting there are still goodie to be found so grid everything and go slow and you will get most of what is there to find.

So i had a really good day and with luck i will be able to get out again Monday. Next week my wife’s and i are driving to Florida for a few days to visit her brother and his wife. Their condo is right on the beach so If i am lucky i should get some time Detecting where I don’t have to worry about frostbite.:laughing7:

Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 19

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post good story the pennies I get alot of fertilizer eaten I detect by U of M campus most of my good finds are there Great finds keep it uo. Tommy

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a variety of finds. Good job.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you help me understand what you mean with regard to the rectangular silver piece related to an electrical usage ?

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium the solder looks more like it was used to fasten fine copper wire. If I am not mistaken silver and gold are two of the best electrical conductors so thats why I thought it might have some electrical usage. The piece is rough cut and I think too crude to be used in jewelry. That’s what I was thinking, but it is only my best guess at this point.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum ring clean up

I had a chance to straighten out the squashed aluminum ring this morning. The outside is worn and beat up but when you look at the inside you can see it has a picture of a bust in a circle of stars. It looks like it was supposed to be a look alike coin ring for the kiddies.

C3DE57B7-50C5-4350-9B00-631335253B2F.jpeg 27ACEFB0-D0B8-44BF-AE28-CBCA0835BBBF.jpeg

My guess is it is from the 40’s, 50’s, or 60’s. Anyone know more about this who can chime in?

Again thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome reale find! All the rest is icing on the cake! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds and great post, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions