πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Class Ring Found and Returned!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isnt actually a "todays find" more like a "todays return"! I found this class ring this past Sept on a beach really close to my house. I was able to track down Trey, the owner, pretty quickly on Facebook and after sending a couple of messages I hadn't heard anything till this past week.......He reached out and was thrilled that I had found it! He hadn't checked his Facebook page in a while and missed the messages. He offered to pay shipping but I told him no sweat my treat, just happy to get it back to him! I figured it was gonna be relegated to the "junk ring" box but was happy to dig it out and get it back to him. Not gold or any precious metal but a personal memento none the less!

Just to add...it was a REALLY good hunt that day, found a total of 6 rings that day, his class ring, 4 other junkers and a nice 14K with real diamond in it.

Attachments

• 20210924_203103.jpg
    20210924_203103.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210924_201803.jpg
    20210924_201803.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • 20210924_201831.jpg
    20210924_201831.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 115
  • DocBeav 2021 Gold Ring #10.jpg
    DocBeav 2021 Gold Ring #10.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 118

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isnt actually a "todays find" more like a "todays return"! I found this class ring this past Sept on a beach really close to my house. I was able to track down Trey, the owner, pretty quickly on Facebook and after sending a couple of messages I hadn't heard anything till this past week.......He reached out and was thrilled that I had found it! He hadn't checked his Facebook page in a while and missed the messages. He offered to pay shipping but I told him no sweat my treat, just happy to get it back to him! I figured it was gonna be relegated to the "junk ring" box but was happy to dig it out and get it back to him. Not gold or any precious metal but a personal memento none the less!

Just to add...it was a REALLY good hunt that day, found a total of 6 rings that day, his class ring, 4 other junkers and a nice 14K with real diamond in it.
Very Nice!!! Good Job!!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know about you but i GET GREAT PLEASURE in returning rings. I like to take pictures and videos
Congrats
Yeah man, same here. Always nice to get one back to someone! If you look at my older posts, I have returned a few now over the years, one had been out in the water for 73 years!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc congratulations on your nice recoveries and voting Honorable Mention
On your good deed returning the ring
Thanks Bill!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work on the return. I have returned a bunch of class rings and sometimes it takes awhile to track people down and get a response. Your persistence paid off. I vote honorable mention for a job well done. Stay safe and keep swingin.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strong work to take the time and effort to get that back to the owner- you are a credit to all of us who do this and would go the extra mile like you did.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work on the return. I have returned a bunch of class rings and sometimes it takes awhile to track people down and get a response. Your persistence paid off. I vote honorable mention for a job well done. Stay safe and keep swingin.
TNT Do you have any tips on tracking past owners down ?PLEASE

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNT Do you have any tips on tracking past owners down ?PLEASE
Each case is different so it is hard to say what the best method for tracking someone is. I start with the school or yearbook for the name. If it is a recent year graduate sometimes the school will have contact info for parents at least. They won’t give out the info normally so I give them my info and ask them to make contact and give my info to the owner. I don’t do Facebook or any other media except for Treasurenet so I get my daughter to try Facebook for me. I have even had school personel willing to post on Facebook. Sometimes the school has an alumni group and they have contact info from past reunions. I have done google searches of the names and found places of employment and made contact there. Be persistent and try anything you can think of until all options are exhausted. I have several rings that I have tried every option available with no luck. (I have returned 19 class rings and a lie number of non class ring jewelry) One even has the persons full name and it is quite a unique name, but I was not able to make contact. He has been retired from his job for years with no current contact info and he and his wife do not respond to Facebook posts. (I have seen past posts from them on Facebook so at one time they had an account). You have to accept that not all class rings will be returnable. Even though I have returned rings to widows, children and grandchildren of the original owners.

Again, good job on the return and best luck for the future. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with TNT Hunter on all above. They (the schools) will never give out personal info but they usually are happy to get in contact with the owner or a family member and pass the message along. For one of the rings I contacted the MIT Alumni Association explained the situation and 2 weeks later the individual's (who was deceased) grandson. One of the other's I contacted the school directly and the person there knew of the owner's sister wo still lived in the area. She then reached out to her 80 yo brother to tell him I had his ring! Good times and good stories!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread