Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks,
I picked up a Whites DFX-300 a few weeks ago and I'm trying to build up my hours on the box to improve my proficiency. So today I went out to an old site that I've hit hard with a buddy or two over the years. I was aiming to pick up some civil war lead. While this spot has slowed down producing lead, I had confidence that the Whites would find some.

First target today was a Presidential dollar coin, the second was a musket ball -- so I found my lead. The rest of the hunt was pretty straight forward, a bit of coin shooting clad and cleaning out some old junque metal.

On the way back out to the car I hit a nice tone and out of the plug popped a 1973 class ring. The pics attached are my second gold ring (first was a wedding band about four years ago). I think I have identified the owner based on initials and some leg work. Now I just need to track the fellow down.

There is nothing like finding gold, but the second nicest feeling has to be handing the owner back a ring he lost forty years ago.

Happy hunting!
Steve

Attachments

• Thomas A Edison HS Class of 1973 Ring.jpg
    Thomas A Edison HS Class of 1973 Ring.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 411
  • Class Ring with Initials TSA.jpg
    Class Ring with Initials TSA.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 299
  • Class Ring and Stone.jpg
    Class Ring and Stone.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 287
  • Class Ring 10K.jpg
    Class Ring 10K.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited by a moderator:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that should put a smile on his face

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you can find him that would be cool

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice class ring find! Good luck the return part :angel7: CARM

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Class act Steve, somone is going to be thrilled to get a part of thier youth back. I bet his GF at the time got mad and tossed it lol. I have an All-State ring in Skiatook Lake in OK somewhere

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the ring was cut off. I wonder if the owner was involved in an accident at some point that would have required to have his ring cut off. Good luck on the return.

NJ

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does indeed look like a tool was used to cut it

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the ring was cut off. I wonder if the owner was involved in an accident at some point that would have required to have his ring cut off. Good luck on the return.

NJ

the owner reported it missing in 2008 and said he lost it on the Edison HS field.

OP
OP
Steve L.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil is right. I've already posted on the same sight that I found the ring. I tried to get the owner at the E-mail address he provided, but the e-mail address is no longer being serviced. (The owner reported in March of 09 that he lost the ring in 1972.)

I've gone to the alumni association and hope to have an updated contact number/e-mail address soon.

I took the class ring in to a jeweler today to see if I could get the ring repaired (I figured if it didn't cost too much that would be a nice touch), but the jeweler said that the maker has to repair them because of warranty and risks to the stone etc. I hit the Balfour site and will provide the owner with information on how to have the ring repaired.

I'll update everyone when I get in touch with the owner. This one is going home -- forty years late -- but we're going to get it back to the rightful owner.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I tracked him to the Harrisburg PA area and was able to send messages to his daughter and son-in-law. I hope to have contact info for you tomorrow.

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get to keep it WHAT A WHOPPER! I can't wait to find my first class ring!

OP
OP
Steve L.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tracked him to the Harrisburg PA area and was able to send messages to his daughter and son-in-law. I hope to have contact info for you tomorrow.

Neil,
Thanks for the assistance! After initial success at identification of the owner, I was not having much luck finding the owner.

Standing by for the contact, my info sent by PM. I'll keep you updated on the return. Glad to get this back -- 40 years is a long time in a man's life -- I know it will bring back many good memories.
HH -- Steve

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1973 ring has been lost for years. I only hope I will get it back some day!! Great story and congrats! Keep us updated!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score!

Somewhere there's an archeologist mad at you.............. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve L.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, here is the update! Owner has been identified and I spoke with his wife this evening. The gentleman is still not home, but I hope to speak with him tonight when he returns.

Neil in West Jersey -- You are a rock-star! Great work helping to track the owner down.

Once I can nail down the details on returning the ring I'll post a close-out update.

I am so happy to have found the owner. I wish him many happy years and good memories!

Happy hunting to all,
Steve

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's great Steve! Please take some pics of you returning the ring and post them when you provide the final update. Nice job to both you and Neil!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread