Greenie
Jul 8, 2021
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Naked Eye/Surface Finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify what these are. I've found about 15 of them so far in my backyard in the city of Wyoming, Michigan.

According to what history I could find about this area, there were Native American settlements prior to European arrival. The land behind my house I believe was at one point a small body of water but due to deforestation and erosion it has dried up. I've found a plethora of other Native American artifacts back there, mostly bird and man effigy and some tools (nutting stone, pestle, grinding stone, various small tools). I've also found large chunks of what looks like either Bornite or covellite.

At first I was thinking game stones (or marbles) but I had read somewhere that clay balls could be scrap from or tools used in pottery.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CLAY-BALLS-1.jpeg

CLAY-BALLS-2.jpeg

CLAY-BALLS-3.jpeg

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to treasurenet I live in New Orleans and I have found my share of clay marbles all of mine are perfectly round so I?m not sure if all of yours are clay marbles on the top picture. If anybody knows it?ll be somebody here great place to learn.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was a kid - like 1975-76
they bulldozed a real old school in my home town and i found some
didnt think then that they were marbles (know they are now)
and being a kid - i smashed them to see what was inside :BangHead:
i have found some since - usually always with a spill of wheaties or indians
and they are with other glass marbles in my display table now

OP
OP
cleggs2004

cleggs2004

Greenie
Jul 8, 2021
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Naked Eye/Surface Finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to treasurenet I live in New Orleans and I have found my share of clay marbles all of mine are perfectly round so I?m not sure if all of yours are clay marbles on the top picture. If anybody knows it?ll be somebody here great place to learn.
Thank you I'm glad to be a part of this group! I wondered the same thing regarding the edges around the stones. I'm finding more and more fragments of things that look like art. Like there was intent when they were shaped. Some look like they belong on a necklace, like or jewelry, which makes me lean more towards clay sculpting/pottery scrap or tools. Thanks for your insight! This is indeed a great place to learn!

OP
OP
cleggs2004

cleggs2004

Greenie
Jul 8, 2021
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Naked Eye/Surface Finds
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one of the few times I think maybe some clay balls could actually be indian marbles. I'm not sure. But it seems possible. Thanks for sharing them!
I'm excited to read this! I believe I've seen your name come up as the "Resident Marble Expert", if I'm not mistaken... Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I've quite a bit of research about the various kinds of stone spheres, different time periods, different cultures, etc. I'd love to hear more about Indian Marbles and what might give them away as such. Hope to stay in touch!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you I'm glad to be a part of this group! I wondered the same thing regarding the edges around the stones. I'm finding more and more fragments of things that look like art. Like there was intent when they were shaped. Some look like they belong on a necklace, like or jewelry, which makes me lean more towards clay sculpting/pottery scrap or tools. Thanks for your insight! This is indeed a great place to learn!
Oh man glad you’re here. My clay marbles are light compared to a glass marble 🇺🇸

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm excited to read this! I believe I've seen your name come up as the "Resident Marble Expert", if I'm not mistaken... Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I've quite a bit of research about the various kinds of stone spheres, different time periods, different cultures, etc. I'd love to hear more about Indian Marbles and what might give them away as such. Hope to stay in touch!
Well if the Indians played with their marbles against us with our nice round I bet we won a lot of games lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread