Cleaned up iron toy gun

Bumpa66

Feb 4, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this iron toy gun while metal detecting last year. It was a ball of rust when I found it. I figured I would run it through some electrolysis treatments to see what I had. Cleaned up nice, but I lost the trigger guard due to being too rusted. I thought maybe I would find some markings to help me identify what I had and how old it was, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas on what I have? Or how old?

Thanks for looking.

20150116_125011.jpg 20141231_112841.jpg 20150116_124934.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaned up good....
Wish I could help with (dating Info), is that a letter K in a circle on the left side Grip?
Thanks Davers

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have an old cast iron cap gun made by Kilgore, sometime from the 1920's - 1930's. Kilgore was a popular toy manufacturing company way back in the day, and they made cast iron toys, like cap guns, and doll house furniture, and cars, etc. After some research, it turns out this gun is called "Big Bill". It would have said that on the grip, but it has since rusted away. They made two variations of this gun, and looks like yours is actually the rarer variation because of the shape of the trigger guard. Too bad it rusted away so much. But still, cool find, and good job with the electrolysis, it looks much better. Hope that helps.

Twevans13

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the gun may be a Hubley made in Lancaster PA. in the 30s maybe 40s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread