Cleaning clad

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on how clean you want it and how much you have. I have found that a tumbler works excellent for cleaning large amounts of clad at once (like at the end of the year). Don't waste time or money trying to make your dug clad look shiny and new. Clean it enough to get all the dirt and crap off it, then dump it through a coin counter.

SWFLA

Feb 12, 2008
Cape Coral FL
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,
Whites Duel Field pi
I'm gonna clean out a peanut butter jar (plastic) and put dish soap water and some aquarium gravel and put clad in and let kids roll it down driveway, then off to the counter.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a rock tumbler, at first I used small gravel that I sifted out of my driveway with a cap full of "Mr Clean". The someone posted a recommendation to use lemon juice with a little salt (no gravel necessary). This is how I clean my coins now. I also take the ones that did not clean up good and fish vending machines for silver coins. I roll my coins at the end of the year and deposit them into my hobby account. The pennies, both zinc and copper are the only ones I run through the coin star machine.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
most of my clad comes from the beach. I just use vinegar to soak them in for a couple of hours.

OP
OP
V

Viking22

Feb 16, 2017
Pineville West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, have tried things I have seen on youtube. I have found about 75.00 dollars worth and
a tumbler costs about 55. Will try some of these ideas.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
depends on how clean you want it and how much you have. I have found that a tumbler works excellent for cleaning large amounts of clad at once (like at the end of the year). Don't waste time or money trying to make your dug clad look shiny and new. Clean it enough to get all the dirt and crap off it, then dump it through a coin counter.

Do the silver ones separate from the pennies or they all will be copper color, How do I know this :dontknow:

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used an inexpensive tumbler from Harbor Freight on sale for as low as $30 use fish rank rock and some Borax

Issue watch it for a little time the barrel can swell just pop top off squeeze out air

Now HF has a stand up detector for $60 that is good

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I do. Fill rock tumbler with coins and 1/2 full warm water , add a squirt of Dawn dish soap. tumbler for 1 hours then drain and rinse. Put coins back in tumbler with 2 tablespoons salt, 1/4 cup CLR and water to cover the coins, tumble 1 hour and rinse . amazing how clean they get.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I do. Fill rock tumbler with coins and 1/2 full warm water , add a squirt of Dawn dish soap. tumbler for 1 hours then drain and rinse. Put coins back in tumbler with 2 tablespoons salt, 1/4 cup CLR and water to cover the coins, tumble 1 hour and rinse . amazing how clean they get.

What kind of tumbler do you have?

Mine would blow up with Dawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-Digger has it right, HF Rock Tumbler, Lemon juice (from Dollar Store,) and some salt. 1 hour later they're ready for the coin star. You don't need them sparkling clean, just clean enough for the coin star.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a Chicago Electric #67631 from Amazon. Works very well. I crush my own quartz from prospecting for abrasive with a little Tide detergent. For clad and pennies.

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-Digger has it right, HF Rock Tumbler, Lemon juice (from Dollar Store,) and some salt. 1 hour later they're ready for the coin star. You don't need them sparkling clean, just clean enough for the coin star.

I used lemon juice one, and 2 hours later the lid blew off.

I would think an acid in combination with exposed zinc would cause the creation of gas. Could be wrong.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Now HF has a stand up detector for $60 that is good

I bought that double drum of theirs, like it a lot! I tumbled last year's clad, cents in one drum and clad in the other.

I clearly need that to be a learning experience. I'd read somewhere about tumbling with vinegar and salt. I didn't like the way that worked at all.

So, I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a bag of aquarium grave, Put the coins in, took water level go just below the top of the coins, gave a very very quick spurt of dish washing liquid, tumbled them for an hour. Them coins are spendable. I'll hit a coin star, a real excuse to look in the reject tray.

That Tumbler did two hours. The first with the vinegar salt, and the second the gravel, water and a tad bit of the soap/detergent.

Both times it just kept on tumbling swinging a load, about half full each drum. That got kinda heavy.

I do expect to use it a lot :)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is absolutely no need to clean your clad other than removing loose dirt. You can run it through a coin counting machine like a coin star or one at your bank without clogging the machine. I have been cashing in a couple hundred dollars worth a year for eleven years and never had a machine issue with my clad.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found this is the best way too. I just pulled a wheatie out of my clad, so check for dates and such.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White vinegar and a little salt in a plastic jar with a lid, shake it a few times it cleans them enough to pass thru coin star. Rinse with water after. Don't leave them in too long.
Useful T Net info.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you do the rock tumbler thing with any kind of lemon juice or cleaner separate out your pennies and do them separate. I did a mixed load and some of the coins came out pink.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used lemon juice one, and 2 hours later the lid blew off.

I would think an acid in combination with exposed zinc would cause the creation of gas. Could be wrong.

The lid only blows off on the zinc pennies in my experience. I've gotten in the habit of tossing all my zinc pennies if they show even the slightest signs of pitting. I also like the idea of putting the zinc pennies in Prescription pill bottles and burying them in the woods, but I have yet to do that. Does that sound wrong?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread