RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this button when I was 15 years old, at DIV XL in Culpeper County Virginia. It's one of about 40 known dug examples, and is extremely rare. Confederate staff officers flat buttons with the eagles wings facing upwards were made by one or two local shops in the area. Anyways, I never cleaned it, because I didn't trust myself. Now that I am older, and more experienced, I decided to tackle cleaning it. As you can see, it has a lot of dirt/buildup on it. It doesn't look bad as is, but it doesn't look great either.
DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0417-2.jpg

I began by soaking it in distilled water for several hours to loosen up any dirt. Then came the scary part. I took a blunt sewing needle, and slowly and gently scraped away the dirt and buildup on the face. (I know some of you had a stroke when you read sewing needle, but hear me out. Needles are actually a lot better than toothpicks, because they don't wear down with each pass, and as long as you're gentle, it won't destroy the patina. They're very helpful for cleaning dug roman coins) After that, I soaked it again, and began "polishing" with a Q-tip and some olive oil. Most of the oil is wiped off in the process, but just enough is left behind to seal it.

DSC_0422.jpg

Here's how it looks so far. I'm taking a break from it tonight. There is still some stubborn buildup, especially near the bottom. I'll use an ultra fine needle for this, under magnification. I'll take more pictures, and in daylight when I'm finished.

Upvote 22

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
I found this button when I was 15 years old, at DIV XL in Culpeper County Virginia. It's one of about 40 known dug examples, and is extremely rare. Confederate staff officers flat buttons with the eagles wings facing upwards were made by one or two local shops in the area. Anyways, I never cleaned it, because I didn't trust myself. Now that I am older, and more experienced, I decided to tackle cleaning it. As you can see, it has a lot of dirt/buildup on it. It doesn't look bad as is, but it doesn't look great either. View attachment 2055284

View attachment 2055287

I began by soaking it in distilled water for several hours to loosen up any dirt. Then came the scary part. I took a blunt sewing needle, and slowly and gently scraped away the dirt and buildup on the face. (I know some of you had a stroke when you read sewing needle, but hear me out. Needles are actually a lot better than toothpicks, because they don't wear down with each pass, and as long as you're gentle, it won't destroy the patina. They're very helpful for cleaning dug roman coins) After that, I soaked it again, and began "polishing" with a Q-tip and some olive oil. Most of the oil is wiped off in the process, but just enough is left behind to seal it.

View attachment 2055288

Here's how it looks so far. I'm taking a break from it tonight. There is still some stubborn buildup, especially near the bottom. I'll use an ultra fine needle for this, under magnification. I'll take more pictures, and in daylight when I'm finished.
Looks pretty darn good to me! I’m going try that blunt needle method. Just need to find a button or coin…..lol

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You were exactly right Rusty when you described this button as the "Holy Grail" of CW buttons. Very rare indeed. You did a Great job in restoring this button. What a difference in the before and after pic's. A Hewge Congrat's to you in both the save and the restoration of this Confetrit' button. I'm sure this is a great addition to your collection.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got my OCD going with this post , IMO the Button look's better now & "I" would likely leave it as it is (after a coating of Rena sonance Wax , 'Forgive my bad spelling ' LOL Or what final protective coating you like ) . Or you can leave it uncoated .

Either way it's a SUPER NICE Button & a once in a lifetime find here in 2022 .

Thanks for the update , as I recall this button from before my Hiatus from the hobby in mid-2019.:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread