cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean them of what?

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are cleaning to remove dirt it's OK but if they have any collector value that's all I would remove. It's best not to clean them other than that as that can devalue the penny.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally use a toothpick and then Andre's Pencils (the steel wool one) on older ones and toothbrush with soapy water on common ones.

My process:

When I find them I tend to treat them like "scratch-off" lottery tickets. I first use the toothpick to gently remove the dirt from the area of the date. If it's a rare/low-mintage one I slow down and proceed to remove the dirt carefully.

But since the vast majority are common wheat pennies, once I see the date I just take a toothbrush and soapy water to remove the rest of the dirt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are coins I found MD'ing so they have dirt on them.
Simple dirt....hot soapy water and a soft bristled toothbrush. Once you determine year/mint/condition/potential value, further cleaning would need to be decided based on what is needed to be removed and the effect cleaning will have on the coins' value. Sometimes it's beneficial, sometimes it will ruin value. I needs to be determined on a coin by coin basis.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak in vineger and salt, then rinse well

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
B6EE25E6-5CF2-4FBF-8FC8-53CE739BE868.jpeg
A0EE3317-CE97-46D0-B144-5052437221B9.jpeg

Soak in vineger and salt, then rinse well
Be careful with vinegar. Here is a heavily patinaā€™d Indian Head Cent that I used a toothpick and Andreā€™s pencils on (first picture - the patina was so hard nothing else would come off with mechanical means).

I figured the IHC was toast so Iā€™d try vinegar to maybe reveal more detail. Bad idea. (Second picture after 2 hours in vinegar).

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have added; soak for a few minutes... and only for those that are spenders, not keepers..

RShackleford

Greenie
Aug 6, 2022
Be careful with vinegar. Here is a heavily patinaā€™d Indian Head Cent that I used a toothpick and Andreā€™s pencils on (first picture - the patina was so hard nothing else would come off with mechanical means).

I figured the IHC was toast so Iā€™d try vinegar to maybe reveal more detail. Bad idea. (Second picture after 2 hours in vinegar).
I tried the same thing with one in a little better shape then the one you posted. Iā€™m a rookie to all this and In about 20 mins of soaking I destroyed it with vinegar. Lesson learned.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should have added; soak for a few minutes... and only for those that are spenders, not keepers..
Itā€˜s been a long time since I tried vinegar on a copper coin (Iā€™m very against the practice), and I had forgotten how quickly it affects the coin.
BUT - this coin came from a farm field that has notoriously destroyed other coppers - large and small - so I kind of knew that this IHC was a lost cause. I was certain Iā€™d never get a date off of it, so I took it as a chance to try vinegar.
Nevertheless, I should have done nothing to it. Oh well, I didnā€™t lose too much and worse mistakes have been made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread