Clintwood VA area

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this appears to be a leather pouchlaying on its side with tie at top this picture on page 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this appears to be a leather pouchlaying on its side with tie at top this picture on page 2

Now that I study it closer it could definitely be a leather pouch. Thanks for the input. Great to have someone else looking, helps trying to solve the puzzle.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I study it closer it could definitely be a leather pouch. Thanks for the input. Great to have someone else looking, helps trying to solve the puzzle.

A leather pouch in that time could have easily been a coin purse or saddle bag!

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A leather pouch in that time could have easily been a coin purse or saddle bag!

Could very well be a coin purse or saddle bag. I definitely need to go back through all the pics of the area and study them over again. Gonna have to go back to the area and look around some more.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Pine Mtn. is actually a overthrust fault, which would make it a prime area for precious metals to be found in that area. the fault start about where the Levisa Fork of Big Sandy crosses the Ky./ Va. border and runs southwest just inside the Ky. border all the way to Tenn. border.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your absolutely right Ken. The overthrust fault is a prime place for metals. I've been stomping around pine mountain since I was big enough to walk. My Grandpa had me in every little cave or crack that I could fit in from The Breaks to the Tenn border. We use to try metal detecting inside the caves on pine mountain but most of the time as soon as you turned them on they just beeped constantly. I guess it was from all the metals in the rock itself.

matt mullinz

Greenie
Jun 19, 2020
Pike County,KY
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Dinosaur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A8385F0D-85B3-45B6-BF5B-5C0F2A9C6F2C.jpeg
In Pine Mountain area I have discovered platinum and silver ore within a mile of each other. I agree with MSLOJO not only the overthrust vault but in my eyes your in one of the last frontiers of KY./VA RRG has been hunted to death for years. Bunch of landmarks and IM sure SWIFT was there to many signs and historical data to dispute, however I think the mines and caches were probably stripped clean by previous treasure hunters over the course of 250 years give or take. Pine Mountain is rugged and unforgiving, unless you have a bad a$$ 4x4, SXS, or good off-road vehicle , Fortunately I have 38-)you cant access it. BUT to all my RRG hunters I hope I’m wrong and one of y’all find the treasure soon. LOJO I’m available in morning if you can come out . B free until about 1AM maybe longer. Ill PM you my number in case you wanna come crawl through briar patch with me. HAPPY HUNTING hope everyone has a great weekend!!
A8385F0D-85B3-45B6-BF5B-5C0F2A9C6F2C.jpeg
DBC5235E-7128-4C1D-97C0-58E461551142.jpeg

matt mullinz

Greenie
Jun 19, 2020
Pike County,KY
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Dinosaur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing in PINE Mountain ain’t even worth lookin

View attachment 1870103
In Pine Mountain area I have discovered platinum and silver ore within a mile of each other. I agree with MSLOJO not only the overthrust vault but in my eyes your in one of the last frontiers of KY./VA RRG has been hunted to death for years. Bunch of landmarks and IM sure SWIFT was there to many signs and historical data to dispute, however I think the mines and caches were probably stripped clean by previous treasure hunters over the course of 250 years give or take. Pine Mountain is rugged and unforgiving, unless you have a bad a$$ 4x4, SXS, or good off-road vehicle , Fortunately I have 38-)you cant access it. BUT to all my RRG hunters I hope I’m wrong and one of y’all find the treasure soon. LOJO I’m available in morning if you can come out . B free until about 1AM maybe longer. Ill PM you my number in case you wanna come crawl through briar patch with me. HAPPY HUNTING hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
matt i agree with you on the RRG . Anything that was there has been picked clean, and anything that's still there wouldn't be worth the trouble/effort given that it's a National Forest now. Pine Mtn. is an area of upmost interest in my thinking.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am biased when it comes to favor towards the RRG but, in that area oil rights were sold even though it is within national forest. What does create a barrier is the Clifty Wilderness section (Eastern section that includes Swift Camp Creek). This area is basically East of Hwy 715 as it passes through the gorge. Being a declared 'Wilderness' area, it gets special protections and restrictions and would most certainly not allow any mineral rights even on private land in that area. You can't even use a chainsaw or any machinery in the Wilderness...

As most journals read there were two parties...one went SW along the 'great ridge' and the other went 'a considerable distance' West. Some say at the forks of the Sandy, others say at the headwaters of the Sandy. These vague general directions favor Pine Mt as the great ridge and anywhere West of the Sandy a possibility, including around Little Caney/Grayson Lake. I would suggest a hint to where these Western mines were would be to comb over any and all maps or references to Indian traces and follow them as routes to areas near those mines. One such area is around Beattyville where a crossroads of traces running N-S and E-W was. A natural fording point across the KY river was there. This was considered the three forks of the KY river area where Col. Harrod disappeared looking for the Swift mines in the late 1700s. The lower devils creek carvings are in this general area as well. That creek runs South into the KY river from the Pine Ridge area it drains. The other side of Pine Ridge is where Swift Camp Creek flows North into the Red River. There are several Indian Trail trees around Rock Bridge road that point toward Swift Camp Creek, indicating a trace once passed through there. These are just conclusions I have drawn from common references among sources I have read and found. I would suspect mines were in these general areas or along these routes. Most of the mineral that is to be found would be below ground level and not what would be left to errosion and the elements above ground for 240+ years. The topography of that area is severely steep with 100-200ft cliffs being common. Water moves down and fast to wash away evidence quickly.
The mine(s) around or in the gorge could be anywhere...but I have always figured they aren't where people can get to them from trails. Most likely they sit on private land that has been overgrown and naturalized for decades. Similar to what KI found, sitting on someones land along a rim of a hollow only to be stumbled upon.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with both Matt and Ken. RRG is a fascinating place full of signs, landmarks, and tourist lol. Pine Mountain is very rugged terrain mostly being cliffs and straight up hillside which deterrents searchers. Which would be perfect for hiding something. Not saying everything is on Pine Mountain or nothing in RRG, just saying Pine Mountain is a good place to hunt. I have personally been hiking/ caving there for years and actually belong to NSS. I've actually led several groups of cavers to caves on PM and all have said hiking/caving on PM for a year is equal to 5 years on others due to terrain lol.
Lots of great things been found in both places and everyone will have their own preferences where to search. Myself I prefer PM seen lots of things there and closer to home lol

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I for one wouldn't rule out the possibility of the Swift mines being found in any of a hand full of counties along the Sandy or tributaries of it. I have never really searched for treasure/mines, but have a great memory for things I've heard people say over the last 50 or so years. In 2008 became disabled from 30+yrs. in the soft drink industry and found Treasure Net and started reading, Found something that was located in my back door and recalling things. Heard an old man tell a story of how Mine Fork got its name back in the 60's. Worked for years with a number of guys that was raised and grew up in that area and things they have said about it that would tie into the Swift legend. Back when I was a younger man spent many days fishing Paint Creek before it was made into a lake, and remember many carvings and pictures on the cliffs along the shores of it. Another thing that catches my attention is the fact that there is a fault line that is in the area, nothing like the over thrust of Pine Mtn. but none the less still a fault line. Then there is the J S carving at the junction of paint Creek and Rock House. I could probably ramble on for hours describing things I've seen and heard that ties into the legend but for now I'll hush.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one wouldn't rule out the possibility of the Swift mines being found in any of a hand full of counties along the Sandy or tributaries of it. I have never really searched for treasure/mines, but have a great memory for things I've heard people say over the last 50 or so years. In 2008 became disabled from 30+yrs. in the soft drink industry and found Treasure Net and started reading, Found something that was located in my back door and recalling things. Heard an old man tell a story of how Mine Fork got its name back in the 60's. Worked for years with a number of guys that was raised and grew up in that area and things they have said about it that would tie into the Swift legend. Back when I was a younger man spent many days fishing Paint Creek before it was made into a lake, and remember many carvings and pictures on the cliffs along the shores of it. Another thing that catches my attention is the fact that there is a fault line that is in the area, nothing like the over thrust of Pine Mtn. but none the less still a fault line. Then there is the J S carving at the junction of paint Creek and Rock House. I could probably ramble on for hours describing things I've seen and heard that ties into the legend but for now I'll hush.

It truely is all these little things that linger on that keep the legend alive. I believe it is why it has never been proven or disproved after all these years...no one can say either way with absolute certainty! Always make sure to pass on what you know to the next generation.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Story about Mine Fork

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ine&y=11&x=13&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=2

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am biased when it comes to favor towards the RRG but, in that area oil rights were sold even though it is within national forest. What does create a barrier is the Clifty Wilderness section (Eastern section that includes Swift Camp Creek). This area is basically East of Hwy 715 as it passes through the gorge. Being a declared 'Wilderness' area, it gets special protections and restrictions and would most certainly not allow any mineral rights even on private land in that area. You can't even use a chainsaw or any machinery in the Wilderness...

As most journals read there were two parties...one went SW along the 'great ridge' and the other went 'a considerable distance' West. Some say at the forks of the Sandy, others say at the headwaters of the Sandy. These vague general directions favor Pine Mt as the great ridge and anywhere West of the Sandy a possibility, including around Little Caney/Grayson Lake. I would suggest a hint to where these Western mines were would be to comb over any and all maps or references to Indian traces and follow them as routes to areas near those mines. One such area is around Beattyville where a crossroads of traces running N-S and E-W was. A natural fording point across the KY river was there. This was considered the three forks of the KY river area where Col. Harrod disappeared looking for the Swift mines in the late 1700s. The lower devils creek carvings are in this general area as well. That creek runs South into the KY river from the Pine Ridge area it drains. The other side of Pine Ridge is where Swift Camp Creek flows North into the Red River. There are several Indian Trail trees around Rock Bridge road that point toward Swift Camp Creek, indicating a trace once passed through there. These are just conclusions I have drawn from common references among sources I have read and found. I would suspect mines were in these general areas or along these routes. Most of the mineral that is to be found would be below ground level and not what would be left to errosion and the elements above ground for 240+ years. The topography of that area is severely steep with 100-200ft cliffs being common. Water moves down and fast to wash away evidence quickly.
The mine(s) around or in the gorge could be anywhere...but I have always figured they aren't where people can get to them from trails. Most likely they sit on private land that has been overgrown and naturalized for decades. Similar to what KI found, sitting on someones land along a rim of a hollow only to be stumbled upon.

Beattyville find on farm 'near the three forks' of the KY river.
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ine&y=19&x=14&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=4

The more I research and read the more I am convinced there were dozens of shallow lead deposits (containing silver) all over the Eastern section of the state. Swift having a father-in-law (Roberdeau) who had experience in running a lead mine in Penn. during the revolutionary war, knew silver would be found in these deposits and mined many of these locations. Probably mined 1 or 2 locations each year, and as they ran out, moved on to the next the next year. Fanning out all over the place over a decade could explain all the signs found scattered about and may explain the one 'richest mine' that may have been worked over several years. Also may support the reasoning Swift had of a vast wealth of silver to be found in KY.
On the Filson map, one such lead mine is placed on the bottom edge of the jmap just South of a trace called the path to the Cumberland and near little barren creek off the Green River called 'a fine lead mine'. This would be East of Barren River Lake on modern maps. So, lead mines were in KY in the 1780s.

https://exploreuk.uky.edu/dips/xt74...s0483_1_1_p/2013ms0483_1_1/2013ms0483_1_1.jpg

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hiker you mention lead mines, brings a story to mind that I heard years ago about two wagon loads of lead buried in the Hager Hill area during the Civil War. Makes me wonder how much silver might have been in that lead and where it was processed at. But lead melting at a lower temp than silver I doubt they heated it enough to melt the silver out of the ore if in a rush to get lead for the war effort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread