Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this and would like some input as to what it is made of. I recently posted it. A recent find near the Ohio River near Wheeling, W. VA.

See the other thread for details. It may be light colored Flint Ridge, I'm not sure. I thought it was Burlington, but have never looked that far west.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1794.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not very translucent. Just a little on the edges.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flint Ridge? It's kind of light for there, but the material runs from white to jet black. I don't know the midwest flints or southern stuff at all.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it isn't likely but I mentioned on the other thread that it looks like heat treated novaculite. I'm guessing its just a super high grade localized material. I'm virtually certain it isn't Burlington.

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be quality Avon Chert. I have found several pieces along the northeastern part of Kentucky...Beautiful point. CONGRATULATIONS

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the Novaculite and again, all these are similar. I'll take a look at the "Avon". It's a rock...I think I'm going digging tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks all for the input. Kentucky is not far as the river twists from where it came from, a couple hundred miles?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
It could be Burlington but the white Burlington is usually whiter and a little less blue, and generally not quite as glossy on the whites. To be that glossy and Burlington usually it is heat treated and usually when you heat treat Burlington there is more pink/red showing through. Not saying it’s not, but in a tray of Burlington I don’t think that material would look right. Not sure what it is.

and for what it’s worth I hunt the Burlington capital of the world, St Louis.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the responses. I know the Ohio stuff was heat treated. Around here, I'm not sure. Lots of quartzite and argillite points as well as rhyolite were used near here. That's the most common materials here (200+ miles east of where the Clovis was found). Even my local Clovis is made of quartzite.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it's some high grade chert. The glossy/waxy looks reminds me of heat treated stone and to the best of my knowledge paleo people did not use heat treat technology. You might consider sending it to someone like Jim Bennett for authentication. A good authenticator that is close to your area should be able to ID the lithic material.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it's some high grade chert. The glossy/waxy looks reminds me of heat treated stone and to the best of my knowledge paleo people did not use heat treat technology. You might consider sending it to someone like Jim Bennett for authentication. A good authenticator that is close to your area should be able to ID the lithic material.

Exactly my concern with novaculite. It looks exactly like heat treated novaculite. Not possible on a legitimate point and there is just no reason it would not be legit unless someone planted it to be found. That's highly unlikely. Gotta just be a material that looks like it.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newman man, I just don't know my flints and cherts. I know what we get here. Quartz, argillite and rhyolite, those are the big three. Quarts is the sugar opaque type. Some black Delaware River chert/flint and some PA Verz Cruz Jasper with a rare piece of Flint Ridge thrown in.

My "new" site, where I was today has only 1 kind and I did get 1 flake of Flint Ridge.

Where the Clovis came from didn't like me very well...just flakes, including some Flint Ridge flakes and local gray PA flakes.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newman man, I just don't know my flints and cherts. I know what we get here. Quartz, argillite and rhyolite, those are the big three. Quarts is the sugar opaque type. Some black Delaware River chert/flint and some PA Verz Cruz Jasper with a rare piece of Flint Ridge thrown in.

My "new" site, where I was today has only 1 kind and I did get 1 flake of Flint Ridge.

Where the Clovis came from didn't like me very well...just flakes, including some Flint Ridge flakes and local gray PA flakes.

Liked you enough to hand over a clovis, awesome find.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my take on this I can tell with100% accurate knowledge from 30 years of mining and heating Novaculite that point is not Novaculite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread